Currently reading
How to upgrade drives in DS220+

NAS
DS213J
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I think I've narrowed down my choice to a DS220+. While I think it would be cool to have 4 bays, realistically it should be years before I need more space and I cannot justify $200 more vs the DS220+ just for e empty bays.

So, my question is I heard that when the time comes I'll have to remove both 6TB drives to replace them with say 12TB drives when I want more room. I heard you cannot replace one at a time like you can in a 4 Bay. Is that true?

Also, can the 2 bay be set up as SHR instead of Raid 1 to allow for upgrading one at a time?

Hey, you can definitely use SHR with two drives, under the hood it is effectively RAID1 a mirrored array.

When it comes time to upgrade you can do one disk at a time, essentially you de-activate the old disk and replace it with the new, then rebuild the array, then repeat the process for the second.

can the 2 bay be set up as SHR instead of Raid 1 to allow for upgrading one at a time?
Actually you can (must only) upgrade drives one at a time, in either SHR or RAID1.

Since you mentioned possibly moving to a 4-drive unit in the future, I recommend SHR, as it will provide greater flexibility when migrating to a 4-drive unit. And as Dr F noted, in a 2-drive system it is functionally equivalent to a RAID1 (your overall capacity will equal the capacity of the smallest drive). Enjoy!

Thank you both. That makes sense. At this point should I just wait for Black Friday Deals? Or, is it not going to get much better than the $140 - $200 off B&H is showing now? I can get a DS220+ with 12TB (2x6TB) bundle for $520.

Thank you both. That makes sense. At this point should I just wait for Black Friday Deals? Or, is it not going to get much better than the $140 - $200 off B&H is showing now? I can get a DS220+ with 12TB (2x6TB) bundle for $520.
One thing to point out here as well is that x23 models are coming to the market real soon. So if you are not in any hurry maybe wait for a refresh just to be a bit more future-proof. On the other hand, even if you do get 220 it will be a long-term purchase no matter what.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.