DSM 7.0 How to upgrade from DSM 6 to 7 on Virtual Machine?

Currently reading
DSM 7.0 How to upgrade from DSM 6 to 7 on Virtual Machine?

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Hi - I have a VM running DSM 6 and it works well. Just upgraded my DS918+ to DSM 7 today and it went smoothly. However, when I try the same for my VDSM it fails. Anyone know how to upgrade from 6 to 7 when it's hosted on a VM?

When attempting to download from within the VM, I get a "Failed to Download DSM. Please check your Internet connection". If I instead do a Manual DSM Update with the standard 7.0 file from Synology (DSM_DS918+_41890.pat), the error is "The model of the update file is incompatible with the system model", which makes sense since is a VM. The VM is on the latest 6 release (5.2.4-25556).

I'd rather not have to spin up a brand new VM, but that seems to be the sole option here unless any of you have a better idea. Thanks!

1628380571420.png

-- post merged: --

Oh nevermind. I had SurfShark VPN on and that was preventing all outgoing communication for some reason. Once I switched that off, I was able to upgrade automatically. After this upgrade I'll probably need to see why the VPN stopped communicating, but that's another topic!

Hi - I have a VM running DSM 6 and it works well. Just upgraded my DS918+ to DSM 7 today and it went smoothly. However, when I try the same for my VDSM it fails. Anyone know how to upgrade from 6 to 7 when it's hosted on a VM?

When attempting to download from within the VM, I get a "Failed to Download DSM. Please check your Internet connection". If I instead do a Manual DSM Update with the standard 7.0 file from Synology (DSM_DS918+_41890.pat), the error is "The model of the update file is incompatible with the system model", which makes sense since is a VM. The VM is on the latest 6 release (5.2.4-25556).

I'd rather not have to spin up a brand new VM, but that seems to be the sole option here unless any of you have a better idea. Thanks!

View attachment 4179
-- post merged: --

Oh nevermind. I had SurfShark VPN on and that was preventing all outgoing communication for some reason. Once I switched that off, I was able to upgrade automatically. After this upgrade I'll probably need to see why the VPN stopped communicating, but that's another topic!
Also, if you are doing a manual update vm uses a separate PAT file In the Download Center on syno support site you will have a custom VirtualDsm option. that’s the Pat version you should have downloaded manually. Specific PAT versions are only used for bare metal installations.

Thanks Rusty. I figured I had to get a different PAT file, but didn't know where to find it. Good to know that it exists for the future though!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.