How to upgrade HDDs? DS218+, 2x12TB -> 2x16TB, no RAID

NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hello,
I'm a Synology greenhorn and I would like to ask how to do an upgrade of HDDs in my NAS Synology DS218+. I have 2x 12TB HGST now and I want to change it to 2x 16TB HGST. Each drive has its own volume - no RAID (I backup it from time to time to external drives). So I can not use something like "rebuild" function. Can you help me? :)
1) The main thing is to do it without complete reinstallation of NAS and witthout lost of all settings (I can copy user data back from external drive),
2) the other thing is if there is a chance to do it by some drive/volume cloning.
I tried to ask Czech comunity, but I did not get any usable response.
Thank you in advance for you advice.

Tomas

Hi there.

Considering that you are running 2 separate basic volumes, you will have to configure the new drives inside and restore from backup. You will have to reinstall the apps running on specific volumes (drives) in order to get them back, but the DSM itself will remain in operation if you replace one drive at a time.

Still backing up DSM configuration would be highly recommended in case there will be an issue, but as said, data will have to be migrate again from backup and apps will have to be reinstalled.

Another way to have apps in use while you replace the drives, is to reinstall them on the drive that you are not replacing (like move apps from volume 1 to 2), and then back again once you start replacing the second drive.

The point is that because those are single volume/single drive setups, you will have to mess with apps.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.