HTPC option?

Currently reading
HTPC option?

NAS
DS415+
Looking for a personal HTPC option and wondering which NAS is right for me. What option is best option if looking for home network HTPC with 4k ability?

The HTPC is dead.
Technology has made them redundant in almost any use case, as smart devices (smart TV, Media players) do up to 4K decoding much cheaper, silently and more efficient than a HTPC or NAS.

So if your NAS is meant to store Media and sent it to the smart TV; any Synology will do. Just think about other tasks the NAS should do (backups, redundant storage, website hosting, ..). Typically a mainstream DS220+ will do any job just fine. My advice is always to stay away from the J types if your budget can handle it.

Well both. I would like to keep it all on the NAS, if possible.
Well, I would agree with @EAZ1964 on this one. If you can make it work so that all the streaming needs are handled on the client-side, you can focus on models that are below the plus lineup.

Still, saying this, personally, I would go for the plus model nevertheless, but it could be a waste if you will keep it as a pure storage device.

Will the plus series handle 4k?
This opens a few more questions. What would be your streaming platform of choice? What does mean "handle 4K"? If you mean transcoding 4K to 1080p or 720p, then it will depend on the CPU in the NAS as well as what your platform is (media platform that is) as well where it is hosted. If you mean by this will it simply transfer 4K content to your end device, it will, but again, it depends on the setup.

So best to describe your end devices (TVs, tablets, phones...) as well how you would like to access the content (locally, web, both...) and ofc what media platform you had in mind. With this, we can continue to zero in on answers to all your questions.

In short, if you want a NAS that will host a media platform and push it to some clients, then do not look at anything below plus models. Still even with that said, there are models that do not support HW transcoding (depending on your media platform of choice) so be sure to give as much info as you can so we can help out with the best possible suggestions.

Well, I would agree with @EAZ1964 on this one. If you can make it work so that all the streaming needs are handled on the client-side, you can focus on models that are below the plus lineup.

Still, saying this, personally, I would go for the plus model nevertheless, but it could be a waste if you will keep it as a pure storage device.

This opens a few more questions. What would be your streaming platform of choice? What does mean "handle 4K"? If you mean transcoding 4K to 1080p or 720p, then it will depend on the CPU in the NAS as well as what your platform is (media platform that is) as well where it is hosted. If you mean by this will it simply transfer 4K content to your end device, it will, but again, it depends on the setup.

So best to describe your end devices (TVs, tablets, phones...) as well how you would like to access the content (locally, web, both...) and ofc what media platform you had in mind. With this, we can continue to zero in on answers to all your questions.

In short, if you want a NAS that will host a media platform and push it to some clients, then do not look at anything below plus models. Still even with that said, there are models that do not support HW transcoding (depending on your media platform of choice) so be sure to give as much info as you can so we can help out with the best possible suggestions.
I am running a Plex server on my current DS415+ but it can't handle the media. HD and 4k won't run very well. Looking to upgrade to a newer model. I do use it for photo back up, cloudstation, and surveillance with cams.

can't handle the media. HD and 4k won't run very well
Meaning what exactly? What are your Plex clients and how do you expect 4K to be streamed on those clients? In 4K (Direct play) or transcoded? You haven't given a lot of info on this.

Meaning what exactly? What are your Plex clients and how do you expect 4K to be streamed on those clients? In 4K (Direct play) or transcoded? You haven't given a lot of info on this.
Sorry was being short to being on my phone. My plex clients are a mix of Android Shield (2) Rokus (2) Native LG and Samsung apps on the tvs. I want to have seemless direct play on my home network. I could share with family but my upload is garbage. I am not sure of the mix but I do transcode sometimes on the TV Plex app.

My DS415+ def cant stream the 4k content. Everything else is fine. I want to future proof as much as I can so if that means going all out and getting the latest and greatest, I am game. I was just not sure If I needed to continue with a HTPC that runs Plex and have my media library on the NAS. I want a Synology to do it all

I want to have seemless direct play on my home network
Ok this will mean that you are looking for a plus model Intel-based device from syno lineup.

I could share with family but my upload is garbage. I am not sure of the mix but I do transcode sometimes on the TV Plex app.
Considering that transcode is needed look for an Intel-based NAS that has Quicksync support. Atm you are looking into DS920+ and DS1520+

Any AMD-powered NAS is not Plex friendly as it does not support QuickSync. Also, any RS model will not be an option as they do not use CPUs that support QuickSync so Plex HW transcode would not be an option and it would do it in software, taxing the CPU 90%+.

getting the latest and greatest
This will not be the case for Plex and Syno atm. If you want the latest and greatest then you might want to wait for a new refresh (I have some insight that we will see some new models by the end of the year, but atm I do not know what models that will be exactly), or get basic NAS model, and make a new HTPC that will handle the transcoding tasks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.