Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
  3. other
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Anyone here with a tip on where to look for a possible cause?

Here is the problem. Well, not really a problem... yet...

I have a Synology DS213j (trustworthy old machine) and a DS716+II. The latter was given to me about three months ago. Yes, given, lucky me.

Anyway, I decided to copy some of the stuff from the DS213 to the DS716. So, I created a mount point in the DS716 (CIFS) so that it can access certain folders on the DS213. I then started a simple "Copy To..." action from FileStation on the DS716 in order to pull files from the DS213. This repeatedly resulted in the DS716 reporting an I/O-error while busy copying. Repeatedly, as in every second copy action.

Eventually, I got everything copied that I wanted. However, the I/O error made me a little nervous, so I had the DS716 perform an extended SMART test. No errors or bad sectors were found. I then scheduled a weekly SMART test (extended) and these also reported no errors. So I thought I could rule out a faulty HDD.

This was a while ago and there were no problems afterwards.

So, I created a user defined script on the DS716 to copy any new files from the DS123's photo folder to the DS716 photo folder. And this morning the script indeed found a lot of files to copy (because I had indeed put new material on the DS213). And lo and behold, the I/O error came back....

You guys still following?

It leads me to conclude that the I/O error occurs when the DS716 is very busy copying stuff from the DS213. But this is only a hunch that I have and I don't have enough knowledge to either confirm this or ignore it as a possible cause. It looks that the HDD(s) can't keep up somehow. Anyone have a good idea on where to look further?

Thank you!

John
(Netherlands)

IO errors for the disks I presume? There can also be IO errors on the network connection (often caused by a bad cable or a bad or badly seated connector).
Disk IO erorrs are often caused by a disk that is not well seated in the sata disk (connection error). Sometimes solved by removing the disks, clean out everything, check the cables inside and repositioning the disks.

One more thing you could do it use Sync Shared folder feature to move the data and see how that works for you and if there will be same problems.

Another is using Hyper Backup tool to replicate data from one nas to the other. See if those tasks will break.

If they will works fine your drives are probably just fine and io errors are coming because of something else

One more thing you could do it use Sync Shared folder feature to move the data and see how that works for you and if there will be same problems.

Another is using Hyper Backup tool to replicate data from one nas to the other. See if those tasks will break.

If they will works fine your drives are probably just fine and io errors are coming because of something else
I tried that, but for some reason (as yet unexplained) it refuses to recognize shared folders on the DS213 from the DS716 and vice versa.

So I remember these type of pains when I tried to do something similar on my ds215j. It didn't take much to realize that a nas is really designed to serve files and not try to be the client and the server. I finally did my copy using robocopy on one of my systems and it flew since each NAS could pretty much max out transfer speeds.

The lesson? If you use a NAS as a NAS, all will be well. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back