Currently reading
Hyper Backup change destination IP

NAS
DS1817+, DS1821+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I am in the process of making an off-site backup of important files. I have successfully made a HyperBackup/HyperVault connection inside my local network and am "seeding" the backup to take advantage of the increased speed vs. over-the-InterNet backup (my backup is 160 Gb).

So I have made a HyperBackup task to my internal IP address (10.10.6.x) and am currently running the backup. Once it has finished, I'll transfer the Vault unit to another location and would like to be able to only do a "catch up" (ie. not a full backup) in the future.

How do I make sure that my HyperBackup task (at my local site) connect to the HyperVault (at the remote site) and continues the backup (ie. only transfer the changed files)? It is of course not located at the IP address that the task is set up to. Can I change the IP address without it having any negative impact?

Can I change the IP address without it having any negative impact?
Yes, you can.

Just edit the task on your source side and put the destination public (Internet) IP address. If that address is not static, and it changes from time to time, make sure to set up DDNS on your destination NAS to dynamically update the IP when it changes.

After you have set up DDNS, use that public name as the target address on your source HB NAS. On top of this, you will need to open port 6281/tcp on your destination router to allow traffic for HB.

After you have configured your task and updated it with the DDNS name, it should continue with the backup process as before.

Just edit the task on your source side and put the destination public (Internet) IP address. If that address is not static, and it changes from time to time, make sure to set up DDNS on your destination NAS to dynamically update the IP when it changes.
Thank you so much.

I am now at the remote site, and have entered the new information into the backup task. But my local HyperBackup now says "off-line". Any tips?

I am now at the remote site, and have entered the new information into the backup task. But my local HyperBackup now says "off-line". Any tips?
You can access your remote (target) NAS from your source one?

If it’s offline it could mean that there is still a communication problem (firewall for example).

Have you tried to run the task after editing?

You can access your remote (target) NAS from your source one?

If it’s offline it could mean that there is still a communication problem (firewall for example).

Have you tried to run the task after editing?
I can SSH to the NAS, but I can't interact with the backup task except "Edit" and "Delete".

I can SSH to the NAS, but I can't interact with the backup task except "Edit" and "Delete".
You are sure there are no problems regarding communication from your source nas to target one?

Are you using ddns name? Port open on the destination side?

Can you give any more info?

I am not 100% sure that there are no problems from the home nas to the remote one. I can connect with SSH from Windows on the same home network, so there's no general communication problem.

I have tried both with a limited user (which is what it should be) and with an administrative user in the task configuration - same result.

I'm using a DDNS host name, and it points to the right IP (I can connect with SSH to that domain).

BUT: Your prompting me forced me to double-check the port forwarding in the router and there was a simple transposing of two digits - easy to overlook ;-)

So after fixing this, it works. Thank you for your assistance...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.