Hyper Backup Encryption Password

NAS
DS1621xs+, DS1621+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I'm testing out encrypted Hyper Backup of my primary NAS (1621xs+} to a backup NAS (1621+). Backups completed successfully and keys were downloaded. When I go back to edit my backup task and select Download encryption key to store them in another location, it asks for a password:

Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 09.41.01.png

I've tried all my listed passwords (I use a password manager and copy/paste) and none of them are valid. It doesn't specify which password it wants. I assumed it was the password I had just set up for Hyper Backup Client-Side encryption. I also tried my Key Store password that I set up to test out encrypted folders, as well as my admin password. None of them are taken. What password is this supposed to be?

Additionally, this is concerning as again using a password manager and copy / paste, this should never happen. I'm lucky I happened to check this before I needed my backups. Are there password rules that aren't listed when creating a password? Are there special characters that are not allowed, or character number limits? I've come across this issue before on websites that don't tell you what the password rules are when you set up a password, take a generated password with special characters that are not allowed (with no error message), and then fail to log you in after the password is set. Could that be what's happening here?

This happened to me before. I had to delete the task and start over. However... it did give the choice of loading the password key I downloaded when setting up the task.
Thanks for the quick response @Telos . When you say delete the task and start over, does that mean simply re-linking the newly created task to the original backup? Or does that mean I need to start over and create new (20+ hr) backups?

I would assume if you can’t get into your backup, you’ll need to start from scratch and recreate it. Otherwise any bad guy could come along just delete the task and gain entry if they created a new task.

I’d also assume if you were to delete task, create a new one and link it to the existing backup set that it’s going to ask your for the backup password; since the backup is encrypted to begin with.

So the problem resolved itself in an odd way. At the time I had the issue, my backup NAS was offsite and shut down as I was still setting up the space for it. After my first post (and trying about a dozen times to access the encryption key on the primary NAS in the screenshot above), I returned the backup NAS to my primary location and connected it to the network. I went into Hyper Backup Vault and was able to access all of the backups using the original password. I went back into my primary NAS and tried the key download again, and this time it finally worked with the password I expected it to take. The only thing that changed from when I got the incorrect password errors to when it started working was reconnecting the backup NAS to the network. That wasn't behavior I would've expected.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.