Hyper backup - extract full image

Currently reading
Hyper backup - extract full image

NAS
DS212
Hello,
I am looking for a method to verify my hyper back up images. I'm just about to upgrade the drive space and want to be 100% sure that the back ups are working.

My wish is to be able to perform a full image extraction (all shared folders) to a clean external HDD. Then I could perform a file compare or similar.
I've tried the following:
  1. I ran the in-built integrity check. This ran for a couple of days and then ended without any kind of message (nevertheless I would want an independent check)
  2. Hyperdrive backup app on synology - go into Explorer where it is possible to copy individual files/folders WITHIN a shared folder. It is not possible to copy a full volume (consisting of multiple shared folders) or individual shared folders and hence would be very time-consuming and error-prone.
  3. hyperbackupExplorer (mac version) - similar limitation to the app on the nas. Only possible to copy folders/files within a shared folder.
  4. Looked into USBCopy (this is a home nas and mirrored would be sufficient) but then hit the one backup task per USB drive limitation
How are others 100% checking that their back ups are correct?

Thanks for your help

How are others 100% checking that their back ups are correct?

Well. I can say that for both on my private environment (Synology NAS'es) and on a corporate level where I work as an IT engineer with Windows servers: do a restore test and see if it works. That way you can also train yourself a little by the experience.

I recently deployed a new DS718+ in my home environment. To no surprise the Synology Migration tool didn't work. But using a HyperBackup restore to this new NAS was even easier than I tought. I even used this method to migrate stuff like MailPlus, Calendar, CardDaV station, NoteStation to the new NAS (+ updating DNS records) without any issue.

Thanks for the quick reply. If I understand correctly, I would need to restore to a new/separate HDD which I would insert into the nas? or do you suggest restoring 'over' the existing baked-up HDD?

The 1st option would mean that I would need a new HDD the same size (or greater) and the 2nd might run the risk of overwriting my original data with a corrupted backup.

TIA

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.