Hyper Backup fails to access Backup Destination (local)

Currently reading
Hyper Backup fails to access Backup Destination (local)

NAS
DS1515+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello Forum,
My DSM informed me some time back that I should create a new administrator ID and deactivate the "admin" account, I did that some weeks ago.
Then I started running in to backup issues since Hyperbackup was not able to backup anymore.
I do have two backup locations:
1) a local one that is supposed to run every night - and that continues to cause problems,
2) a USB solution where the backup is on a 16TB USB disk. This initially had the same issue, i.e. that Hyper Backup could not perform a backup, it was not able to access the target drive. I sorted that out since from the new admin ID I took over the property of the USB drive and also gave read/write permission to the new admin account to the USB drive (shared drive), and a read access to all the shared drives that are supposed to be backed up. That worked and the backups are working.
This backup is slower compared to option 1 and therefore is performed twice a week.

For 1) the backup is supposed to be a quick one and is performed everyday,
Here I have granted permission to the new admin account to access the shared folder on the main volume to perform read/write, I also gave read access for the new admin account to all folders that are supposed to be backed up everyday.
After doing all that I still get an error message that says the backup cannot be performed, in particular it says "Failed to access the backup destination".
In the error log I find: "[Local][Local Storage from 20201113 on] Failed to access the backup destination. (No permission to access the backup destination [Hyperbackups]. Please check you have the right permission to the backup destination.)"

The DS1515+ is running DSM DSM 6.2.4-25556 and is equipped with 3 WD Red 4TB and 2 Toshiba 301NAS 12TB hard disks and is equipped with 16 GB RAM.
Does anyone have an idea what I could do to make the backup work?

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:
Is the new account an "admin class" account or "user class"?
I configured it to be an "admin class" account. It shows as "administators" and as "users" in Control Panel, users - "user groups".
And I also rebooted the DS1515+ after the latest re-verifications of all the permissions.

When you added the new admin account to have permission to access the shares/folders, did you check the box to propagate the permission through the subfolders and files?
1631461581165.png

Last edited:
I think I did, but going through all the permissions again, I don't find the option "apply to this folder, sub-folders and files"
-- post merged: --

I now opened File Station and found out that I can change the ownership of the "Hyperbackups" folder, I am presently changing ownership of the "Hyperbackups" folder to the new admin, I will see whether that will result in the effect I want and add the information here.

That seems to work.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.