Currently reading
Hyper Backup failure. Only works when vpn connected

NAS
DS415+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I have a little bit of a wierd problem as I can not connect to my Backblaze bucket without going through a VPN.

Any thoughts on why this might be?

Background.

DS415+

I use Hyper Backup 3.0.1-2412

My target is a Backblaze bucket.

Router is a UDP Pro

I have multiple backups scheduled to different targets and these have been running ok for many months.

A few months ago I set up a ExpressVPN on my NAS and backups continued.

On Wednsday I disconnected the VPN in the Control Pannel > Network > Network Interface

I checked my backups on Saturday and found that my Backblaze backp had been failing.

The Backup schedule shows the Target as being offline.

If I connect the VPN it connects and I can backup. Which I did to get up to date.

If I disconnect the VPN it goes back to Off-line. I can turn it on & off & on & off and it connects and disconects.

I have deleted the backup task and then created a new task reestablishing the existing backup. When I entered the Backblaze keys it wouldn’t work. So I spent time playing the have I got the write keys game. Then I turned the nas vpn on and it immediately connected to Backblaze and I could select the bucket.

I can see posts about a MTU 1500 problem. The default MTU for the ethernet links is 1500.

I have hit the update on the packages recently.

I should be going back to a position that previously worked. I can't think of any other changes.

Thoughts?

thank you for your help.

Last edited:
I seem to be able.

I can search for files with Download Station.

I can see the QuickConnect information come up.

1638173452248.png

I'm not a SSH user and its currently turned off.
-- post merged: --

BackBlaze support is chatting with me as well. Jonny suggested a Tracert.

The first is without a VPN and the second is with a VPN.
1638175354316.png

So it looks like you are right. Does that mean the DNS server doesn't have that name in its IP lookup list?

I thought the list was replicated out from a central server? How could a name not be on the list?

Upvote 0
So it looks like you are right. Does that mean the DNS server doesn't have that name in its IP lookup list?

I thought the list was replicated out from a central server? How could a name not be on the list?
It looks like a DNS problem indeed. Be sure to check the Network settings on your NAS when not under VPN. Do you have it sorted and configured? Try using 1.1.1.1 as a manual DNS setting (instead of your router). See if that helps.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
I have a manually set ip for the two ethernet connections on the NAS. I'm tried different DNS ip addresses.
I've tried different DNS addresses in my UDM Pro.
Same result.

I had a chat to my ISP tonight and he feels a hardware reset of the router is in order. I don't really want to do that as its a bit more than just keying in a user id and password to $100 modem. And it will need to wait until the weekend so I have time to look at it.

Dawid - I tried ProtonVPN and it doesn't work. So resolving works with ExpressVPN and nothing else it seems.

I had a go at SSH into the UDM Pro and erasing the "cache". No change.

I tried using my iphone on the wifi, doesn't connect. Go to mobile and it can resolve the name.

If it was my ip being banned for some reason ProtonVPN should have worked and it didn't.

It looks like the UDM Pro is the issue for some reason.
-- post merged: --

Refreshed router IP address, no change

Upvote 0
Problem sorted.

UDM Pro was the issue. By itself it would resolve the name but when other devices were attached to the lan it would not resolve. Fixed

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.