Currently reading
Hyper Backup incompatibility after testing backup from C2

NAS
DS1621xs+, RS2418+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I recently decided to install DSM 7 in a virtual environment to test several things before updating my production unit from DSM 6 to DSM 7. I opted to restore from C2, which took about 3 days. When completed, the C2 Hyper Backup target in the virtual environment automatically continued to back up while the production machine's target was in need of relinking.

Upon relinking, I was prompted with:
Version incompatibility found. Please update hyper backup to the latest version.

Seeing that there are no available updates for Hyper Backup on the production machine, I can assume that the virtual environment's backup continuation has messed this up (so much for testing out DSM 7 before updating the production machine). Has anyone had this issue?

I effectively have no way to continue my backup without starting a new backup task.

I also noticed that all user accounts have been restored in the virtual environment but when being logged into my admin account, none of the apps have been recovered that I had in my "full system backup" like Docker, Tailscale, Active Backup for Business, etc. (Synology and third-party apps). When I open the package center, I can see that the apps in question are ready to install. I've never had a problem restoring from local targets. Not quite sure what I'm missing and what other surprises will pop up.

I effectively have no way to continue my backup without starting a new backup task.
Well in a way this is expected. Your DSM6 machine (host) is still on an older version and anything other then updating to HB v4+ will not help unless you do a new backup. HB4 will pull DSM7 a sa prerequisite ofc. So you have options but it would require you to jump forward.

none of the apps have been recovered that I had in my "full system backup"
In my testing complete setups have been restored including Docker (contianers started), Plex, Photos etc...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.