2. MR2200ac
  3. RT6600ax
  4. WRX560
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Something became apparent after 18 hours of doing a full Hyper Backup 'clone' and rebuild (ext4 to btrfs, and remove an old limit of 16TB volumes) was that not everything is backed up. In the end I powered down the NAS and switched back in the 4TB SHR-1 disks as I've a new NAS on order and I was just trying to jumpstart the migration process.

One other thing I found was: subsequent runnings of (non-1st time) multi-version tasks failed on my ext4 SHR after installing Active Backup for Business and Snapshot Replication. It could have been one, both, or a mere coincidence but these tasks stopped failing once these two packages were removed (and the support Replication Service) were uninstalled. While these packages work with btrfs Storage Pools does that mean a NAS with a primary ext4 RAID and secondary btrfs RAID cannot successfully use Hyper Backup? I tried a few combinations of ignoring packages in the task but nothing helped, and neither did looking in the NAS message logs.

I may retry the rebuild again to see if the one partially successful restore activity was the cause of many of the missing package re-installations and also missing DSM settings ... no firewall, access settings, certificates, and many more. Plus it seems there's a need for a lot of preparation work for Docker migration before shutting down the current build, even if you have mapped data to backed up NAS folders.

I digress, here's a table of the Knowledgebase index and the packages that Hyper Backup's help page says it supports.

'Yes' means the knowledgebase says so; 'NO' means this is a package I've run post-rebuild and my previous settings are missing. A blank probably means it's not supported but I don't run it so can't test it.

Synology Package (from Knowledgebase index)Supported by Hyper Backup?
Active Backup for Business
Active Backup for G Suite
Active Backup for Microsoft 365
Antivirus by McAfee
Antivirus Essential
Audio StationNO
CardDAV ServerYes
Central Management SystemNO
Cloud Station Server
Cloud Station ShareSync
Cloud SyncYes
DNS ServerYes
DockerNO
Document Viewer
Download StationNO
File StationNO
Git Server
Glacier BackupYes
Hyper BackupYes
Hyper Backup VaultYes
iTunes ServerNO
Java Manager
Java7
Java8
LDAP ServerYes
Log CenterNO
MariaDB 10Yes? (no version mentioned)
MariaDB 5Yes? (no version mentioned)
Media ServerNO
Migration Assistant
MomentsYes
Note StationYes
OAuth ServiceYes
PDF Viewer
PetaSpace
Photo StationYes
Presto File ServerYes
Proactive Care
Proxy ServerYes
RADIUS ServerYes
Snapshot Replication
SSO ServerYes
Storage AnalyzerYes
Surveillance StationYes
SVN Server
Synology Application ServiceYes
Synology CalendarYes
Synology Chat ServerYes
Synology Contacts
Synology Directory ServerYes
Synology Drive ServerYes
Synology High Availability
Synology High Availability (SA3200D)
Synology Mail ServerYes
Synology MailPlusYes
Synology MailPlus ServerYes
Synology OfficeYes
Text Editor
Universal Search
USB Copy
Video StationNO
Virtual Machine Manager
VPN ServerYes
Web StationYes
WebDAV ServerYes

Do you have any additions or corrections to this?

Here we go again. Rebuild based on successful backup of everything Hyper Backup offers. Not holding out much hope for getting further than yesterday's attempt: already restore DSM's configuration from a backup and still no firewall rules (they could be applied but disabled so that access isn't blocked).

The reason for posting this is the oft repeated guidance when someone needs or wants to change the underlying RAID: do a full backup with HB; wipe the disks; do initial installation; restore from the HB data.

So far, I cannot see this as 100% accurate advice as I'm finding there are enough areas of DSM configuration and excluded packages that there needs to be a suite of additional steps taken before the fateful disk wipe. I'm lucky in that I put aside the original disks and can fallback with no consequence. But this weekend looks to be taken up with side-by-side browser windows connected the the current DS218+ and building up the new DS1520+. When completed the DS218+ will rebuilt as a backup device, mostly.

HB NAS restore is quite incomplete. It is not suited for bare-metal recovery.
Indeed.

I've updated the table to show packages I've confirmed have missing configurations. The disappointing part is that DSM configuration backup, from within Control Panel, misses a lot of the personalisation and security setup ... specifically the stuff that has taken time to evolve as you learn more about how to better use and look after the NAS.

I can feel a lot of screenshots happening this weekend :) Plus I hope to note which bits should be recorded if they are needed in the new build. Unless Migration Assistant fills these gaps.

Indeed.

I've updated the table to show packages I've confirmed have missing configurations. The disappointing part is that DSM configuration backup, from within Control Panel, misses a lot of the personalisation and security setup ... specifically the stuff that has taken time to evolve as you learn more about how to better use and look after the NAS.

I can feel a lot of screenshots happening this weekend :) Plus I hope to note which bits should be recorded if they are needed in the new build. Unless Migration Assistant fills these gaps.
I was hoping that dsm7 would bring full bare metal restore but that is not an option atm.

I've updated the table to show packages I've confirmed have missing configurations.
If I'm not mistaken, there are many config tweaks not covered... among these... reverse proxy, DDNS, QuickConnect, docker, images/containers, firewall rules... I think this just touches on issues... also power cycles, task scheduler (custom entries?), UPS connectivity...

It would be great to have a full matrix.

If I'm not mistaken, there are many config tweaks not covered... among these... reverse proxy, DDNS, QuickConnect, docker, images/containers, firewall rules..
Yep. These are the features that I was saying aren’t included in DSM configuration backup plus Docker being omitted.

I've been complaining about this to Synology for YEARS. It doesn't even back up and restore Network settings (like custom ports for DSM, or even the name of the server). And the killer for me is that it doesn't backup CMS server settings, which can take HOURS to set up. It's the rough equivalent of Group Policy settings in a Windows environment.... it would be unimaginable in an Enterprise environment that such settings would have to be recreated from scratch in the event the server had to be restored from backup, and yet...

Docker containers and settings, at least, can be exported from Docker. For many of these other settings, there's simply no way through the GUI to export or back them up.

Unless Migration Assistant fills these gaps.
How naive was I?

So much for migrating data, configurations, and packages from my original ext4 file system [that was created on the DS215j] to a btrfs file system. Oh No! Migration Assistant must have the same file system FFS!!! [I apologise for the inferred language, but really Synology is this too much to ask?]

• Tip: You can also create volumes on the destination device first, and the system will migrate volumes on the source device to the same location on the destination. The volumes must be fully identical (including volume number, file system, and capacity) to the ones on the source device, or identical but with a larger capacity.

Though there is a fairly useful list of things you still have to do after using Migration Assistant, and looks to have a lot of overlap with omissions Hyper Backup. I'm sure I'll be checking this.

The planned rebuild reverts back to Hyper Backup restore and dual browsers going through what needs to be re-typed.

Last edited:
As expected, not all settings and packages are restored from a 'full' Hyper Backup task. Here are my notes (so far).

Control Panel
  • File Sharing
    • Shared Folder: Restored but noted that Shared Folders on external eSata drive had different permissions
    • File Services: Restored
    • User: Restored but users have to setup a new 2-Step Verification and any account/DSM preferences.
    • Group: Restored
    • Domain/LDAP: Not restored. LDAP connection has to be reconnected after which packages using them (e.g. Mail Server) will recognise LDAP user accounts. LDAP user and group permissions must be assigned (note: Synology Mail Server enables Mail Station access). Also LDAP's User Home has to be re-enabled.
  • Connectivity [all features: Not restored]
    • QuickConnect: Not restored
    • External Access: Not restored
    • Network: Not restored
    • DHCP Server: Not restored in Migration Assistant so probably not by Hyper Backup [I don't use it]
    • Security: Not restored!! Nothing is kept so no retained firewall rules, traffic control, auto-block history, certificates.
  • System
    • Info Center: Nothing to restore. Service tab may be useful to check enabled services and accessibility.
    • Theme: Not restored
    • Regional Options: Not restored
    • Notification: Restored and Advanced 'event' notification changes seem to be retained.
    • Task Scheduler: Restored
    • Hardware & Power: Nothing to restore.
    • External Devices: Not restored the external USB device Shared Folder names are not retained.
    • Update & Restore: Nothing to restore.
  • Applications
    • Privileges: Nothing to restore.
    • Application Portal: Not restored
    • Indexing Service: Not restored
    • Shared Folder Sync: Not used so can't say what happens but is excluded by Migration Assistant.
    • Terminal & SNMP: SNMP is restored; SSH non-standard port is not restored.
Packages (selected notes on some of the packages I use)
  • Central Management System: Not restored
  • VPN Server: May have to reselect the NAS interface used by VPN Server. Otherwise, the package is restored.
  • Mail Server: The catch-all account mod, via SSH, needs to be reapplied (as per each upgrade to the package).
  • Synology Drive Server: Restored :)
  • Cloud Sync: Restored
  • Log Center: Not restored
  • Media Server: Not restored. The custom DMA menu have to be manually added.
  • Audio Station: Not restored, noted saved personal radio station URLs are missing.
  • Video Station: Not restored
  • Synology Contacts (beta): Not restored
  • File Station: Not restored (no network links, favourites)
  • Surveillance Station: Restored (for as much as I've set it up, which isn't much).
  • Docker: Not restored. If you've mapped container data to NAS folders you just need to:
    • export each container configuration file from source NAS;
    • download the docker images on the destination NAS;
    • import each container using the configuration files.
Other notes
  • Make a note of all your installed packages as not all will be automatically installed.
  • To preserve the status of data on the source NAS you should adjust network access to it such that users cannot access it prior to the last Hyper Backup running. My low-use NAS was easy and I just changed it's LAN IP, since most access to it is via Port Forwarding and local DNS resolution to its assigned LAN IP.
  • After the restore, and doing most of the manual configuration, the new NAS was assigned the old NAS's LAN IP. After this I could set up Let's Encrypt certificates and finalise certificate assignments to services.
  • If you [forgot and] used a local external drive formatted with an exfat file system then you will have to have paid for the exFAT Access package on the destination NAS.

@fredbert would like to say that a lot more things can be backed up and restored in DSM7 using the configuration backup/restore process (not using the HB). Happy that there is a Reverse Proxy export :D. So, without sharing any screens here, all of the control panel settings that are "not restored" in your post can be restored in DSM7 atm.

Now you tell me! Maybe I should've waited before doing this :)
Actually didn’t focus still on these settings and options until I saw your post. Recently I migrate the same way as you said, 2nas side by side and what can’t be backed up was hand copied to the other nas (like 40+ reverse settings).

The. this post reminded me and just did a test to see what options there are, and wow it’s all of it (atm). Tested restoring RP after deletion from the cloud and sure thing entire custom rp table was restored.

@fredbert would like to say that a lot more things can be backed up and restored in DSM7 using the configuration backup/restore process (not using the HB). Happy that there is a Reverse Proxy export :D. So, without sharing any screens here, all of the control panel settings that are "not restored" in your post can be restored in DSM7 atm.

Cool, this is something I repeatedly asked Synology for, including talking to their people in person at their technology forums, and by phone. I don't know whether there's cause and effect there, but I'm glad they did it! Do you know if you can now back up CMS Server settings (or whatever the DSM7 equivalent of CMS Server is)?

Synology now claims that under 7.2 you can do a "bare metal restore" using Hyperbackup. I am dubious. Has anyone checked to see if things have actually improved since @fredbert 's nice thorough post from September 2020 above?
While HB bare metal restore was announced on the 2023 and Beyond keynote address, I have still not seen a newer version that support this. Hyper Backup Vault in version 4 has nothing related to this, nor does the current 7.2 DSM.

Guessing this will happen soon as the "Synology Backup" platform rolls out,

Might go and check the HBV app just in case to double check if this is indeed an option.

I should have added a link showing Synology claiming this capability; here it is:
Indeed, but I think they jumped the gun on this one a bit. I am doing a full backup of one volume to C2, just to see what the restore option will/can be with this version 4.

Well DSM 7.2 Virtual DSM does not allow for bare metal recovery either via ABB or HB, so I was unable to test that. The option after DSM install just does not offer restore from backup link as appliance device does.

Atm I have no test units that are a candidate for such a task, so maybe someone else will be able to confirm this if HB does indeed presents its self as a source for recovery as ABB already does.

@akahan HB 4.1 will support bare metal.

Beta version is avaliable right now with official support coming in mid-August with support for on-prem (NAS to NAS) and C2 as potential destinations.

1688461214221.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.