Question Hyper Backup Setup

josh

Byte Poster
NAS
DS418play
Router
RT2600ac
Hello,

I wanted to check how others have set up their Hyper Backups. Do you do individual tasks for each shared folder, a few tasks with multiple shared folders, or one task with all shared folders?

I'm thinking a few tasks with multiple shared folders. For larger shared folders, like my video and photos folders, creating one task per folder, thoughts?

Cheers,
Josh

jeyare

Mega Poster
NAS
1811+, 3x 1813+, ...
it is up to you and performance of the whole environment & backup features (encryption, ...), that can make significantly slow the backup/restore process.
Then:
  • small parts are faster as large independent groups
  • if you lose one backup target group, you have still rest of them.
The backup is successful not when you finish backups, but when you successfully restore the data. And time is your enemy.

And welcome in this community!

jeyare

Mega Poster
NAS
1811+, 3x 1813+, ...
to be sure!
just thinking if you need backup movies, or just save them again whenever needed. It is horrible space eater, just for few minutes of watching. But it is up to you.

Rusty

Staff member
NAS Support
www.blackvoid.club
NAS
DS412+, DS718+, DS918+, 2x RS3614RPxs+ with expansions
Router
RT1900ac, RT2600ac, MR2200ac
I run multiple tasks with multiple folder, as well as tasks with single folders. Like it was said, depends on our needs, restore time, uplink (for off site backups) etc.

Also running local snapshots for instant recovery.

josh

Byte Poster
NAS
DS418play
Router
RT2600ac
Thanks, everyone!

I'm going to stick with a couple of broad backup tasks as well as few individual ones.

Rusty

Staff member
NAS Support
www.blackvoid.club
NAS
Router
I’ve never really looked into snapshots, how do they work and how much space do they take up?
Basically its working on a deduplication method. Bottom line deltas get written so if there are not many changes you won’t lose too much space. For me it’s great, fast with versioning way to get back any file on the original or custom location. Perfect for near instant docker map restore points if an image corrupts the volume in any way. Got me out of trouble a few times already.

tb123

Byte Poster
NAS
DS916+
Thanks @Rusty
I might set it up and see what’s what. I guess with HyperBackup I thought I already had versioning capabilities, but this might take things a step further.

Is there any reason not to use both HyperBackup and Snapshot at the same time?

Rusty

Staff member
NAS Support
www.blackvoid.club
NAS
Router
Well for me HB is for offsite backups and things that I don’t want/need instant recovery. So I use both.

Gerard

Kilo Poster
NAS
DS718+
I wish they would add the ability to hyper backup to local network locations over smb or something easier than rsync. I had to download some rsync utility to install on a second windows computer/file server, which has a ton of storage space. So in addition to offsite backup, I also have a hb copy on this file server which is local.

fredbert

Mega Poster
My HB tasks:
  • Full backup of every selectable thing to attached USB disk.
  • Limited backup (excludes archive shared folder and things I have elsewhere too) but all apps to other DSM NAS.
  • Moments/Photos/Home video/important docs backup to Synology C2.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.