1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Hi.

Source | Hyper Backup - Synology Knowledge Center
Parent and subfolder backup

After I enabled a parent folder, I cannot disable a subfolder without disabling the parent folder as well. In other words, I don't manage to get the first situation on the table (link above), where the files of the parent folder and some subfolders are enabled.

What do I miss?

Hi.

Source | Hyper Backup - Synology Knowledge Center
Parent and subfolder backup

After I enabled a parent folder, I cannot disable a subfolder without disabling the parent folder as well. In other words, I don't manage to get the first situation on the table (link above), where the files of the parent folder and some subfolders are enabled.

What do I miss?
Have you done a test regardless of the image? Not sure the checkbox will remain as soon as you disable one subfolder but run the backup as an example and see if the root content will be backed up as well (if those are not folders alone that are in the root location)

Have you done a test regardless of the image? ...
Forgot to mention this. The files inside parent folder (A) are not backed up.

Basically, I cannot set the checkboxes like on upper part of the table (Parent and subfolder backup). I can only configure the lower part (Subfolder backup) and the middle one (Parent folder backup).

Forgot to mention this. The files inside parent folder (A) are not backed up.

Basically, I cannot set the checkboxes like on upper part of the table (Parent and subfolder backup). I can only configure the lower part (Subfolder backup) and the middle one (Parent folder backup).
Hmm, that should work just fine. Double checked on my end (DSM 6 and 7) right now and the root checkbox stays on. Might be good to open up a ticket for this. What DSM version is this?

Correct. I can confirm it is working as described in scenario A
I opened a ticket.

Additional question - when you tested on your system, did you create a new Data backup task or did you edit an existing one? I get subject effect by editing an existing task.

I opened a ticket.

Additional question - when you tested on your system, did you create a new Data backup task or did you edit an existing one? I get subject effect by editing an existing task.
Excellent point. I tested this with a fresh task. I will try to edit it and get back to you.

Update ... Synology relied standard - send me a debug.

However I noticed the following:
(1) : File Server - rsync
(2) : File Server - rsync copy (single-version)

I use and (2), which doesn't allow disabling subfolder d while keeping parent folder A enabled. This behaviour is different in (1). See posts and links above for reference.

I'd appreciate if someone could confirm that (2) doesn't allow this behaviour as I reported.
This might be a bug, or as per design.
If per design, I wonder why (I don't see an immediate reason).

I've two HB tasks from main DSM NAS to the same backup DSM NAS:
  1. Remote NAS (it's equivalent to rsync (multi-version) but needs DSM NAS as dest.)
  2. rsync (single-version) of selected folders
Have just checked if I have a full Shared Folder selected for backup and deselect one subfolder then this happens:

Remote NAS (multi-version)
1630579489839.png
rsync (single-version)
1630579630334.png

So that means you can't do a single-version backup and copy files in A whilst excluding folder d. This seems odd. I can see why multi-version supports this mix-and-match approach as it will have to have the capability to retain files and folders as they come and go in the retained history. But why can't single-version? Maybe an oversight/assumption of the document writer that doesn't use single-version.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.