Hyper Backup strategy quesiton

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi.

I was thinking about running Hyper Bakcup for each shared folder to another local folder every hour (or other time frame depending on shared folder) and then backing up those HyperBackup files to external drive via USB when connected (offsite storage).

Is this good stratedy to have have multiple versions of files and being able to back it up to external HDD?

Or should I run Hyper Backup directly to external drive when that is connected? (But then I'll lose the hourly backups?)

I was thinking about running Hyper Bakcup for each shared folder to another local folder every hour
Hyper Backup isn't set up to do this. It is basically for off-NAS backups (USB/cloud/external NAS...).
Or should I run Hyper Backup directly to external drive when that is connected?
Yes. This.
But then I'll lose the hourly backups?
Use Snapshot Replication on critical shared folders (storage is local on your NAS).

@Telos
I was looking at DSM demo version in browser.

I was able to create a HyperBackup task to backup any shared folder into another shared folder on the same NAS (and volume) at any frequency. I was then able to access .hbk file and see files that had been backed up.
Why you say it is impossible?

This creates a single .hbk file for each HyperBackup task.
I was thinking to use second task (like USB Copy) to copy just those .hbk files to external drive (let's say once a week).

The only issue I see with it is that those .hbk file could grow quite large and copying them to external drive could be much longer.

@Telos
I see that you are advanced user.
I have 1 NAS and 1 external drive (stored offsite and brought to site for backup once a week). Can't really afford second NAS right now.

I would like to have frequent (recent) are less frequent (older) "snapshot" functionality. But I also would like to copy those "snapshot enabled" files to "offsite" drive from time to time.

Or is it just impossible and I should stick with snapshots on NAS and HyperBackup once a week on external drive?
Can I trigger HyperBackup with plugging of external drive or do I need to start Task manually?

Thank you in advance for your help. I need it.

I was able to create a HyperBackup task to backup any shared folder into another shared folder on the same NAS
You caught me sleeping. You are correct. I was thinking of syncing two folders on the same NAS. So yes, you can create a backup using HB on a separate shared folder. Ideally, backups are off-NAS, but you've already indicated, that was your ultimate goal.

However ... it will be cumbersome as you will need to ensure successive backups on your external disk are complete, otherwise the USB copy will be of no use. Also... unless you specify single-version backups, you won't be able to move the NAS backup from the NAS as its database is required for successive backups. It is far better, to maintain a version backup on your external USB, IMO.

Regarding snapshots... AFAIK they can only be copied over to a btrfs formatted Synology NAS... and not to a USB drive.

Keep your questions coming... I'll try better to be alert.

Also... unless you specify single-version backups, you won't be able to move the NAS backup from the NAS as its database is required for successive backups.
Isn't the .hbk file self contained so that I can open it in "Hyper Backup Explorer" on Widnows?

SO...

I think I'll go with:
  1. Hourly Snapshots for sensitive data.
  2. Synology Drive for "synced" data, where I can't relay on connection to NAS at all times. And snapshots for where it is stored on NAS.
  3. Hyper Backup once a week for 2 above, to offsite storage. In case of catastrophic failure to NAS those hourly/weekly snapshots are not really that important.

Would you change anything?

Isn't the .hbk file self contained so that I can open it in "Hyper Backup Explorer" on Widnows?

Sure... but that's not my concern...

The hbk file changes with each backup. What I'm saying is, that though you may copy the backup from a shared folder to a USB drive...

You can't remove the hbk backup from the shared folder if you are using hourly versioning as each succesive version needs the hbk files from the previous version. So after you copy the weekly backup to USB, you must leave the hbk on the NAS so that the next backup run, can version properly.

Thanks for the info.

I'll setup "Synology Drive" for data I want to have synced between PC and Laptop.
I'll setup snapshots on shared folders that I want to keep track off more ofthen then weekly.
I'll setup HyperBackup to external drive weekly.

@Telos
Is it possible to setup HyperBackup in such way that it will trigger when it detects drive has been connected?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.