NAS
DS718+, DS920+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I have my Synology A backing up to Synology B using HyperBackup. This has been working well for quite some time. Recently, I got a warning that my drives on Synology B were nearly full. I went and looked, and this appears to be true, but I can't figure out why. I have a single backup job running and the file for that is only 6.8TB (on Synology B), yet the Synology B drives show as being at 11.7 TB. I can't figure out where these mysterious extra TBs are hiding. Yes, I have snapshots running, but there's a cycle to them, and that folder is quite small in size.
syno1.png

syno2.png

syno3.png

Solution
The version, depends on your requirements, most people would set a schedule something like the last 7 days, last version of 4 weeks, last version of 12 months and last 3 years which makes 26 maximum, but half of that or less may be sufficient as well.
This may be a DOH moment for me. I have Smart Recycle enabled, which obviously crowds the numbers of version to more recent. The max number of kept versions = 256. Is that the culprit? If yes, what I'm confused by is the fact that in the target (where the backups are stored) is so small. But maybe I'm just being thick.

Upvote 0
The version, depends on your requirements, most people would set a schedule something like the last 7 days, last version of 4 weeks, last version of 12 months and last 3 years which makes 26 maximum, but half of that or less may be sufficient as well.

Upvote 0
Solution
The version, depends on your requirements, most people would set a schedule something like the last 7 days, last version of 4 weeks, last
OP will need to be careful about how to remove the excess versions, lest they get hit with long delays, slow response, etc., doing it the wrong way. If memory serves it works best through small adjustments to the versioning settings vs. manually deleting the oldest or largest, etc. There's a how-to in the KB but I don't have time to hunt it up right now.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.