NAS
ds920+,ds414
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi
I've recently upgraded to a DS920+ upgraded and now setting up the backups. I tried HyperBackup to my old NAS (DS414) but it ws incredibly slow. I'm trying again to a USB3 attached HDD and its only at 4% after 20hours and seems stuck on the first step. There's something I'm missing here so your experiences appreciated.

Thanks for helping

I started a backup at 10:00 this morning with the target a 4TB Seagate drive connected to the NAS USB3 port. No network involved. The status page nine hours later 1% progress for 175.80 GB with Files Scanned at 244,426. Those totals are going up !?

If I did a straight copy to the USB drive it would have finished by now. Whats HyperCopy trying to do ?

1. Have you tested how long a direct copy would take? Just to confirm that the NAS to USB interface to USB drive to disk isn't slow.
  2. What else is running on the NAS? Could there be something that is taking resource priority.
  3. Have you enabled encryption / compression?
I does seem slow but it can be performing de-duplication too.

I just looked at my main task's oldest and 2nd oldest runs (due to version retention there's a month between), here are the logs. Based on my NAS usage, it looks to be a fairly constant 20 to 30 minutes each run, after that first time, and this has always been between a DS1520+ and DS218+ (1 LAN). I'd expect USB destinations to take a little less time.

First run (it was relinked to an existing HB vault, hence the 1.2 TB increase and not 1.5 TB).
1631004648166.png

Second run
1631004777512.png

Your figures look more like what I was expecting. This morning my backup task showed a doubling of the number of files but very little progress. Your comment on file deduplication makes me wonder whether its doing something else that is causing it to be slow. I'm going to try rsync now and see how that goes.

Your figures look more like what I was expecting. This morning my backup task showed a doubling of the number of files but very little progress. Your comment on file deduplication makes me wonder whether its doing something else that is causing it to be slow. I'm going to try rsync now and see how that goes.
Hey Timu,

Did you get anywhere recently? I'm encountering the same problem and am anxious to know if there is some kind of explanation/work-around/patch or so.

It took my DS220+ (18GB RAM) 72-plus hours to make a 1.6TB backup from the NAS to a USB-3.1 external HDD.
Before using HyperBACKUP I simply copied the ext HDD to the NAS and after roughly 9 hours copying 1.6TB was complete.

And I know for a fact that write/read speeds to and from the NAS to the ext HDD is around 100MB/s during "normal" copying.

Hi
I solved this by connecting two NAS's and rsynching the data I wanted to copy. I suspect the problem was down to the external HDD's I was using along with the number of very small files involved.

I do need an external backup as well so I'll revisit and let you know what happens.

Thank you for enquiring

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.