NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi Folks,

I am replacing my old DS214play with a DS218+. I have about 1.8TB of data on the old box, mostly music, photos and PC backups. Both boxes are on the same switch on my home network.

The only migration method available is Hyperbackup, which I set off over 24 hours ago and it started well but eventually ground to a halt at around 70% complete. If I hover over the task, the pop up says 0Mb/s.
I’ve tried suspending and restarting a couple of times and that seems to kick it into life for a while. I’ve just done another suspend/restore and it’s now up to around 80% but running at under 3Mb/s - that seems inordinately slow. Is this normal?

I’m wondering about either abandoning the full backup and trying to do it in chunks (assuming that’s feasible) or just mounting the old DS folders on the new DS and doing a drag and drop - also in manageable chunks.

Has anyone any advice for me? I’d be grateful.

I just successfully uploaded 1TB of photos to the Synology C2 Cloud server. It took 8 days, 12 hours to complete. While uploading nothing appear on the C2 server until the Hyper Backup Task was successfully completed. Hyper Back looks like it is just scanning your files and not moving data. But it was. Anyway, I was glad I took a chance and did not stop the process in those 8 days. Else it would have started up again from scratch. I wonder what would have happened if you might waited another day to see if the 70% would have gone up and sent everything over.

@Filbert
no one can helps you with so few details in your description:
- number of files in your backup task?
- is there an encrypted source or target?
- is the transfer also encrypted?
- is there a compressed transfer?
- what kind of backup task - backup or rsynnc?
- what kind of switch?
- what kind of SMB setup?
- what kind of MTU frame size?
- what kind of wires Cat.?
... as you can see, lot of hidden details for our evaluation

PS: when you need just transfer data from NAS to NAS:
- use NFS share for the folders (in the Shared folder setup)
- mount the Target NFS folder in File station of Source NAS
- then just arrange rsync of the folders
- when done, unmount the folder
This is the fastest possible way. Faster than the chosen in your description. No HB.

. I wonder what would have happened if you might waited another day to see if the 70% would have gone up and sent everything over.
I didn’t stop it and, indeed, after 48 hours or so, it was up to 90%. Another day and it might finish..
often, when I check, the speed is being shown in bytes/sec, not even Kb.

@Filbert
no one can helps you with so few details in your description:
- number of files in your backup task?
- is there an encrypted source or target?
- is the transfer also encrypted?
- is there a compressed transfer?
- what kind of backup task - backup or rsynnc?
- what kind of switch?
- what kind of SMB setup?
- what kind of MTU frame size?
- what kind of wires Cat.?
... as you can see, lot of hidden details for our evaluation

PS: when you need just transfer data from NAS to NAS:
- use NFS share for the folders (in the Shared folder setup)
- mount the Target NFS folder in File station of Source NAS
- then just arrange rsync of the folders
- when done, unmount the folder
This is the fastest possible way. Faster than the chosen in your description. No HB.
Sorry, I didn't respond sooner. I had thought there was enough info on file types in my original post. They were mostly flac for music, MP4 or FLV for video, JPEGs for photos and probably 200,000 or so files.
Some of the other questions I can't answer - I'm using default settings for Hyperbackup, I think it was compressing but I didn't realise at the time or I'd have turned that off. Also default settings for networking on my NASs and using the cables that came with the boxes, I assume CAT5 or 6 but I'm not near the system to check ATM.
It's a Zyxel 5 port Gigabyte switch.
Anyway, the backup eventually finished after two and a half days. If I get some time, I might try a few tests with different settings and also to a USB drive to see if I can work out what was making it go so slowly.
I hope I don't have to do it again any time soon(!) but I'll definitely look at other methods if I have to.
Thanks for your thoughts.

I didn’t stop it and, indeed, after 48 hours or so, it was up to 90%. Another day and it might finish..
often, when I check, the speed is being shown in bytes/sec, not even Kb.
Just to confirm that it did eventually complete (about 2.5 days). As I said above, I hope I don't have to do it again anytime soon!

for next time
simple calc:
1.8TB of the mixed and small file types, 200 000 files (avg size about 9MB)
avg 80MB/s transfer speed
achievable 6.25 hours by NFS vs 2.5 days by HB

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.