Hyperbackup not working between 2 syno NAS

Currently reading
Hyperbackup not working between 2 syno NAS

Hi all, I'm trying to set up a backup from my home NAS to a remote NAS (through the internet). I originally thought that this would be straightforward, however I then discovered that hyperbackup doesn't even support quickconnect IDs. I since made a dyndns name for my remote NAS, but hyperbackup still doesn't work.

The configuration is as follows:
- Home NAS, DS920+
- Remote NAS, DS216j, port was forwarded through my router, hyperbackup vault instaled

I create a new hyperbackup job ("Remote NAS device"), enter the dyndns name. I then successfully log on - I am able to choose where the backups should be (shared volume and folder). However, after I click "Next", it shows the error "Unable to perform this operation because the system is unstable or the network is busy. Please try again later". The remote system is fresh out of the box, and network appears to be working fine...

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Welcome to the forum.

QC will also work just as any public domain name or IP, DDNS included. The issue here might be on the 216 side. Can you verify that the device is not under some heavy load like optimizing or scrubbing the array? Check the Storage Manager and the status of the array 1st. Also, is any other app/service running there that might have a grip on the resources?

What does the Resource Monitor app look like? Is anything spiking (volume for example)?

Considering that you have logged in and were able to choose the target folder that excludes any problems on the port, user, or app side. This could be a hw issue with the target device atm.

Thanks for the quick answer, Rusty.

I had a look at the system monitor, it had a service called "synoscsitmon" that was using 50% of the cpu. I rebooted the device and for good measure installed the latest DSM update + reboot. Now the system monitor shows no usage except the occasional disk read. There is not much usage as well during the hyperbackup connection process.

I also checked the volume manager, no operations are being currently done, the disks are also not in a RAID configuration (which I purposefully chose).

Same behavior, same error message from hyperbackup :(

Thanks for the quick answer, Rusty.

I had a look at the system monitor, it had a service called "synoscsitmon" that was using 50% of the cpu. I rebooted the device and for good measure installed the latest DSM update + reboot. Now the system monitor shows no usage except the occasional disk read. There is not much usage as well during the hyperbackup connection process.

I also checked the volume manager, no operations are being currently done, the disks are also not in a RAID configuration (which I purposefully chose).

Same behavior, same error message from hyperbackup :(
Then there is still something that’s “bothering “ it. Leave it for half a day/ day and try again

I had this same problem when trying to setup hyperbackup between two units on the same LAN. My workaround for this was to use a different web browser. Safari worked for me on Mac but Chrome/Brave not so much. I was going direct to IP without Dyndns but for some reason it was not working. I would give a different browser a shot for kicks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.