HyperBackup owner and Permission Issue

Currently reading
HyperBackup owner and Permission Issue

Hello,

New member here and I'm having a very frustrating issue with my Hyperbackup and the task and file permissions.

I didn't notice at the time of my task creation but the task is being created under the default 'admin' account which I deactivated over a year ago and have been using an admin account I created which I assigned to administrators group at that time and have been using this account ever since, not once using the default admin account and not for this task creation thus it's very odd that HyperBackup would be using the default admin account as the task owner. As the task is being run without issue (it's a nightly backup) I clearly had not removed permission to all locations so that is why my nightly task was running. I removed permission of the default admin account to the location where the hbk fie resides and manually kicked off the task and it failed so that confirmed that permission control at least at the folder level is working as expected. So I went to the hbk file, went to properties and changed the owner from the default admin to my current admin account applied the change, a saving popup appears with a quick progress bar and all looks good. However when I recheck the properties the change did not take affect. I tried deleting the task, creating a new one and re-link to the existing hbk file but new task still shows as default admin. I tried again to change owner of hbk file via properties but no luck. I deleted the task again, tried via properties to change owner but still not successful. I created a completely new task from scratch to see what the owner would show up as and it too shows as default admin and I am unable to change permission on that hbk file either. I uninstalled HyperBackup, tried again to change owner of hbk file but no luck. I re-installed HyperBackup, created another new task and again 'admin' is the owner. I reactivated the default admin account, assigned read/write access to the location of the hbk file, logged in with the default account and still could not change the owner of the hbk file even when using the actual default admin account.

I logged out and back in with my personal admin account and once again deactivated the default admin account. I was on the latest version of DSM 6 so I updated to DSM 7. Tried to change permission again, still no change, I am unable to change owner of hbk file and new tasks continue to show up with default admin as owner. I then upgraded to DSM 7.1 but still no change.

I did have another older task in HyperBackup so I looked at that and to my surprise it shows the correct owner as my personally created admin account. When I look at the properties of the hbk file from that task the properties window is a bit different, it only has an owner drop down whereas with my other hbk file I'm having the issue with it has both an owner and group drop down. Also the permission window is complete different between the 2 hbk files. I'm sure these differences are indicative of something I'm just not sure what. Thinking about this properly assigned hbk file and task I remembered that task was created before a recent drive re-format. At that time I had 3 drives as RAID5 and one standalone drive (I have an older DS415play). I wanted to get all drives under RAID protection so I did the laborious task of offloading all of my data to an external drive and before reformatting created a HyperBackup task to backup my Synology Drive package. At the time of backing up my external drive was 18TB, to large for the Synology to detect and read from as it exceeded my DS415play's max volume size of 16TB so I spent days copying the data from my NAS to the external drive via my PC with the external drive connected to my PC and me mapping to all of the various folders on the NAS. I re-formatted all drives under SHR then again spent days copying my data back. Once the NAS was back and running I found a good deal on a 16TB USB drive so I purchased that and when I received it I attached to the NAS and created a new backup task to backup all data and packages. It's from this pint on that HyperBackup seems locked to the default admin account.

I have a ticket open with Synology but thus far this behavior has them stumped.

Has anyone encountered this before and if so were you able to resolve and how? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

There is a lot of words above, and it is for me a bit difficult to understand the core problem. Anyway, my experiences are that the owner of the task on the source should be identical to the owner of the destination files. These should match.
So is that the case? You can check the file owner by using the file station properties right click.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response. Yes the owner of the task and owner of the hbk file are the same, both the default 'admin' account which has been deactivated for over a year and not used since. The task was created within the past 2 months using my created admin account I have been using ever since deactivating the default 'admin' account. So it makes no since that HyperBackup continues to create tasks under the default 'admin' account when it's not being used to do so and it makes no sense that my personal admin account can not change the owner of the hbk files from the default 'admin' account to itself. I can find no way to correct this behaviour.

Upvote 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the response. Yes the owner of the task and owner of the hbk file are the same, both the default 'admin' account which has been deactivated for over a year and not used since. The task was created within the past 2 months using my created admin account I have been using ever since deactivating the default 'admin' account. So it makes no since that HyperBackup continues to create tasks under the default 'admin' account when it's not being used to do so and it makes no sense that my personal admin account can not change the owner of the hbk files from the default 'admin' account to itself. I can find no way to correct this behaviour.
Are you backing up to an external HDD? What format is this HDD? If it is eg exFat (and no doubt NTFS too) then this behaviour is expected. exFat doesnt understand Linux permissions and ownership, so all HB tasks that specify an exFat destination always read that their owner is 'admin'.

To test, format a backup drive to ext4, create a test backup task, and it will show as being owned by the user who created the task.

This 'owner' field displayed in HB is simply based on the user who owns the directory being backed up to on the external HDD...change the owner of the dir (on ext4 drives) and HB will display the new owner in its task list.

Upvote 0
Very interesting. So my external drive is a WD My Elements drive and those come formatted as NTFS. I just left the drive as is when I received it and added it as the destination for my HyperBackup task. I created a new test task but this time set the destination to one of the folders within the Synology itself and sure enough that task shows as the user I'm logged in as, not the default 'admin' account.

Is it possible to change or set the owner for my NTFS My Elements external drive via DSM somehow? Or is this just an inherent quirk when using external drives with HyperBackup that are formatted to NTFS/exFat and we have to live with thus are stuck with having to keep allowing the default 'admin' R/W permission on that drive even though the account is disabled?

Upvote 0
Is it possible to change or set the owner for my NTFS My Elements external drive via DSM somehow? Or is this just an inherent quirk when using external drives with HyperBackup that are formatted to NTFS/exFat and we have to live with thus are stuck with having to keep allowing the default 'admin' R/W permission on that drive even though the account is disabled?
No, it's not possible as NTFS (and exFat) are inherently unaware of the POSIX Linux permissions and ownership model that DSM uses.

It's not so much a 'quirk' as trying to get 2 completely different architectures to work together. Essentially, when Linux encounters an exFat / NTFS / etc FS that doesnt support its permissions model, it resorts to doing everything as 'root' ('admin' in DSM parlance).

This is another reason why it's strongly recommended to format external HDDs that interact with the NAS as ext4. This is a Linux-native FS, is supprted directly in-kernel (exFat wasn't until fairly recently) and it plays nicely with POSIX permissions & ownership.

You can reformat the drive under the 'External Devices' applet in DSM. Obv this will also delete all data you have on teh drive, so you'll need to move your .hbk archive somewhere temporary if doing this.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for the additional info, you have explained things perfectly and I understand. I'm going to copy the hbk file over to my second 18TB external drive and reformat the 16TB drive that's connected to the NAS to ext4 then copy the hbk file back so I can finally change the owner and remove the remaining permissions of the default 'admin' account.

Upvote 0
I have a follow-up question. If I format the 16TB external USB drive connected to the NAS to ext4, will I be able to map a drive from my PC to that USB drive while it's connected to the NAS like I'm able to do now with it formatted in NTFS?

As my .hbk file is over 13TB in size and I'm copying it to my only other available USB drive, an 18TB external drive, as the 18TB drive can not be recognized by the Synology due to exceeding the 16TB volume limit I have to copy the file this way and in turn this is the only way to copy the file back when the 16TB drive is reformatted. If I will no longer be able to map a drive from my PC to the 16TB drive connected to my NAS once reformatted I will not be able to move my .hbk file back.

Upvote 0
If I format the 16TB external USB drive connected to the NAS to ext4, will I be able to map a drive from my PC to that USB drive while it's connected to the NAS like I'm able to do now with it formatted in NTFS?
I have an EasyDrive with 2 ext4 partitions, one of which is dedicated to a Synology NAS. While I have not mapped that partition, I can access it via Win10/11 via File Explorer using the local path \\192.168.1.42 where I have access to all folders.
I'm copying it to my only other available USB drive, an 18TB external drive, as the 18TB drive can not be recognized by the Synology due to exceeding the 16TB volume limit
I've never heard of a USB drive size limit. Which NAS is this?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback on your experience. Looks like I'll be fine, just needed assurance my Win10 PC could still see the WD Elements attached to the NAS after the reformat.

I have a DS415play. That limitation really sucked as you can imagine my shock after getting the 18TB drive and the Synology would not see it when connected no matter what USB input it was plugged into. I had opened a ticket with Synology that's when I found out about internal volume sizes and those dictate what the NAS can see from USB drives. The DS415play only supports volume sizes up to 16TB. I suppose I could have partitioned the 18TB Elements drive into 16 & 2 but I didn't want to do that so had to get a 2nd drive that either matched or was less then the volume limit supported by the NAS thus I ended up going with the max 16TB for my 2nd WD Elements drive.

Upvote 0
So I made progress, well sort of.

So it took 2 days to copy that large hbk file over to the external drive connected to my PC for safe keeping. I re-formatted the drive connected to the NAS to ext4 and my Windows 10 PC could still map to the usbhare1 folder without issue. I spent another 2 days copying the hbk file back. When I right clicked and went to properties it was finally reflecting the correct owner and no longer showing as 'admin'. I opened HyperBackup and could see the same in the task owner, 'admin' was finally gone. However. The task now shows as

1694478319648.png

Not sure why that would be. The error report stated:

Backup task was unable to run due to errors found at the backup destination.
The index structure was found broken in the latest integrity check.
There may be broken files which were not detected this time.
If you have further questions, please contact Synology support.

I didn't think to take screenshots at that point. But concerning the task, it originally had a daily schedule but before I started the file copies I turned off the schedule as I knew it would kick on while I was backing up and re-formatting the drive. The task also had an integrity check scheduled and I can't remember if I turned that off and also not sure if the integrity check is tied to the main backup schedule or independent of it. The integrity check was scheduled to occur when I was copying the file back to the drive connected to the NAS. Trying to troubleshoot I deleted the task and created a new one relinking to the hbk file and it still showed up with that destination corrupted error/warning. Any thoughts? I was thinking the integrity check possibly kicked off during the copy and corrupted the file so I've deleted the task and I am re-copying the hbk file from my backup drive in hopes that was the issue. I'm doubtful as I probably would have received an automated e-mail informing of the integrity check error when it happened but I did not. I received daily e-mails from the backup tasks when it was running of either success or failure. I have a suspicion though the issue is a result of the 2 file system formats, the hbk was originally created and stored on NTFS then moved to an ext4 file system and perhaps configuration settings etc, within the hbk are now no longer compatible with the ext4 format.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.