NAS
RS815, RS1619xs+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited:
Hello.
I have 2 NAS - RS815 on IP 192.168.2.254 and RS1619xs+ on IP 192.168.2.253 and I want to backup from RS815 to RS1619.
I made the same user with the same password on both nas to avoid other problems.
I wanted to create HyperBackup task. I created task on remote nas, write remote NAS IP 192.168.2.253, enter credentials, and then I see on remote directories - list of directories from my NAS 254, not from remote NAS 253. I thought it was mistake and I make backup, and it make backup copy on this same NAS 254, not remote.
What I did wrong?

Well in that case you will 1st select the destination folder on your 815 device, then the wizard lists your 1619 folders that you want to backup. That should be it.
list of directories from my NAS 254, not from remote NAS 253
Not sure how that could be unless you entered the wrong IP address in the 1st step. You did enter your 253 IP address in the 1st step?

Well in that case you will 1st select the destination folder on your 815 device, then the wizard lists your 1619 folders that you want to backup. That should be it.
But I want backup FROM RS815 (254) to RS1619 (253), so why should I list destination folders on RS815? I don't get it.

Not sure how that could be unless you entered the wrong IP address in the 1st step. You did enter your 253 IP address in the 1st step?
It's weird, but I'm sure, that I write this IP correctly.

I watched official Synology youtube guide -
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

and this guy went to wizard, chose remote NAS device, found in network remote NAS, entered credentials, and he saw directories from remote NAS. I did the same way, except I wrote IP rather than find this from network.

But I want backup FROM RS815 (254) to RS1619 (253), so why should I list destination folders on RS815? I don't get it.
Well correct. You do need to enter the destination IP, in your case 253. That should list the remote folders.

I watched official Synology youtube guide
This is not an official YT video, not saying the video is wrong, but SpaceRex has no official relations with Syno regarding its videos.

I did the same way, except I wrote IP rather than find this from network.
IP should work just fine (personally I use it as well), so not sure what else to tell you here. There are no reason that I see why you would see local folders when entering the remote IP address.

Last edited:
So it's a mystery... I write remote IP and I see local folders :/

EDIT:
I changed the remote NAS from 192.168.2.253 to 192.168.2.252 and it works! It's pretty strange, but it works. Maybe 2 NAS can't have IP within short range? I don't know...

It maybe how you wrote it but you said "...I created task on remote nas...", can you confirm what you meant by this?

The HB task is created on the source NAS, i.e. the source NAS is the one who's content you want to backup to the destination [remote] NAS. You create the HB task on the RS815 and select the IP address of the DS1619+ as the destination NAS. When you've authenticated the access to the DS1619+ during the HB task creation you will then get to choose which shared folder on that NAS you will use for the backup vault.

You should be running Hyper Backup Vault on the destination NAS if you choose the Remote NAS device type in the Synology group.

It maybe how you wrote it but you said "...I created task on remote nas...", can you confirm what you meant by this?
Yes, it means destination NAS. Synology use the "remote" terminology in HB wizard. So earlier I created task on my source NAS (254), and I want to copy to remote/destination NAS (253). And I have error like I said earlier. But changing IP in destination/remote NAS (253) to 252 resolved the problem. It's pretty strange but yes, now it works.
I don't know if 2 NAS devices can't have adjacent IPs?

Yes, it means destination NAS. Synology use the "remote" terminology in HB wizard. So earlier I created task on my source NAS (254), and I want to copy to remote/destination NAS (253). And I have error like I said earlier. But changing IP in destination/remote NAS (253) to 252 resolved the problem. It's pretty strange but yes, now it works.
I don't know if 2 NAS devices can't have adjacent IPs?
Well considering that it is a model with multiple network cards it does have multiple IPs. So that means that you have/had connected your NAS with multiple cables? Obviously, your NAS responded to a 252 address, and the task was configured.

No. Both of them are connected via single cable. But yes, earlier source NAS has 254 and 253 address, but 253 address cable was disconnected. And when I earlied enter NAS from web browser via 192.168.2.253 it connected mi to the destination NAS. So it's strange that NAS "remember" address which was disconnected. Maybe it was the source of problem?
But now it works, so problem was resolved.
Thank guys.

No. Both of them are connected via single cable. But yes, earlier source NAS has 254 and 253 address, but 253 address cable was disconnected. And when I earlied enter NAS from web browser via 192.168.2.253 it connected mi to the destination NAS. So it's strange that NAS "remember" address which was disconnected. Maybe it was the source of problem?
But now it works, so problem was resolved.
Thank guys.
Are you sure your NAS has a static IP address? Double check that. Maybe your device is "traveling" inside the DHCP pool. Could explain the "new" ip

Are you sure your NAS has a static IP address? Double check that. Maybe your device is "traveling" inside the DHCP pool. Could explain the "new" ip
Yes, I'm sure. Both of my devices has static IP address. My old NAS (RS815) has 192.168.2.254 (active) and 192.168.2.253 on second lan (not active, cable disconnected). My new NAS (1619) was set on 192.168.2.253, and I was able to connect to it via web browser on this address.
When I switched new NAS to 192.168.2.252, all went smoothly, so maybe the fact, that the old NAS had this ip set (but not connected) was problem, because old NAS tried to connect itself? I don't know. For me,this lan2 (which was disconnected), should be omitted, but perhaps was not.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.