Hyperbackup single-version vs. hbk vs. alternative

NAS
DS720+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for the best practice and reliable way to backup - just like everyone else I guess. Hyperbackup, rsync or alternative.
Today I'm using Hyperbackup tool with 3+ external copies as a backup and I'm doing it manually only every few weeks.

I find signle-version more like rsync where the non single-version is Hyperbackup proprietary and slow, although I'm happy to use proprietary when I have some additional benefits.

HBK feature with snapshot replication - is that the only advantage of hbk method? If that's the case I think 1 x external disk with hbk method and the other copies to use the single-version.
But maybe I'm missing something and I'd like your opinion.

Sorry that I made my question a bit complicated. I just want to make sure that I'm choosing the right method for the long term.

Thanks in advance!

Well, the proprietary format allows for versioning, as well as malware protection in those cases, pure rsync does not. Also, there is no fear of proprietary considering that you can use it without your nas just by accessing the backup with HB Vault desktop client.

Regarding number of copies that also depends on your needs but anything more than one original copy is great.

Thanks.
Would you recommend all copies to be used with hbk method?

what about data integrity?
is it like tarball?

Would you recommend all copies to be used with hbk method?
Well that really depends. I use hbk for most of them, and only a few tasks are pure rsync. Majority of data that I backup is running via Snapshot and replication anyway, but for those cases that HB tool is included, hbk is what I personally use.

what about data integrity?
Not sure what you mean by this question? Yes, you can check and validate it, if that was the question.

Screenshot 2021-04-21 at 10.46.08.png

is it like tarball?
more like a database package

Last edited:
I think the "check backup integrity" you showing is only checking the destination and compare it with the source (NAS)

I have many photos and every year I find that another photo is being corrupted (half grey pictures).
like you said, rsync just ruin the backup as well. I run jpeginfo with md5 and check for errors before I copy the data to external backup. Might sounds heavy but I just don't want to loose data. jpeginfo is only for photos though..

I wonder if .hbk can resolve it (?)

is there any method to compare or check before backing up? just to avoid the scenario I just mentioned?
Also, rsync with --dry-run can at least show what you're going to replace / copy. but Hyperbackup do it without an option to look at anything.

Thanks Telos. If I understand correctly, this will only check the data on the destination once the backup finishes right?
If so, that equals to manually “check data integrity” button which can be done on demand?

I just don’t like to schedule backups, I always prefer to do it manually. I know it’s old fashion, but I’m happy with it :)

is there any integrity check like jpeginfo that you aware of and can run on Synology? (Not for the destination backup side)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.