HyperBackup tips or alternatives

Currently reading
HyperBackup tips or alternatives

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
So I'm using my Synology as a Homedirctory Server for certain employees in my org and I want to backup to a different NAS to keep my 1 TB directory safe in case of anything but can't do that using AcitveBuisnessBAckup since it does let me use the Synology Nas as a source to back up on another one so I used Hyperbackup's rsync to do the process my only concern is that hyper backup doesn't do an incremental backup but a mirroring backup, also it doesn't back up the folder as readable files and that's my main concern. is there any other alternatives to ActiveBusiness Backup or Hyperbackup in Synology's Packagecenteror synocommunity if not what can i do with hyper backup to solve my mirroring backup problem

So you want to rsync your backup as readable files to a target server?

Then I think you need to use this:
1607076646041.png

rsync works like RoboCopy of Windows, so should also be useful for incrementals.

In case your destination NAS is also a "+" model you can use Snapshot and replication tool.

If you want to backup your AB snaps using Snapshot you can do that as well. In fact, it is recommended considering that HB will not do that job properly on each level.

Is single copy a safe option?
In case of deleted or altered files by mistake or corrupted for any reason in the source NAS, then these will be copied to the single copy on the target NAS.
Hyper Backup with versions will prevent this.
The same will do Snapshots and Replication. Or alternatively, as a last preference, a backup utility running on a PC.

Or I'm missing sth?

Last edited:
In case your destination NAS is also a "+" model you can use Snapshot and replication tool.

If you want to backup your AB snaps using Snapshot you can do that as well. In fact, it is recommended considering that HB will not do that job properly on each level.

Unfortunately the other NAS is a different brand than Synology slightly older
-- post merged: --

Is single copy a safe option?
In case of deleted or altered files by mistake or corrupted for any reason in the source NAS, then these will be copied to the single copy on the target NAS.
Hyper Backup with versions will prevent this.
The same will do Snapshots and Replication. Or alternatively, as a last preference, a backup utility running on a PC.

Or I'm missing sth?
first ofc a single copy is not a very safe option but versioning a 1 TB daily takes a lot of time, second, our org policy doesn't support versioning, third, there's an option withing hyper backup that doesn't delete deleted files in the destination so that's a plus. finally, we tell our employees if something is wrong with the current copy on the source they have till 10 PM to send us an email, after that, it's on them since the backup happens at 1 am. also I keep a weekly version of the source in single copy mode in case something is not due to a human error rather to a computer error.
I don't know if that's good enough but correct me if I'm wrong if it takes like 4 hours for a single copy backup per day of the source won't versioning mode take the same time every time the backup activates? or I'm missing something?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.