I encounter unusual issue with my DS920+ device and I’m seeking assistance!

Currently reading
I encounter unusual issue with my DS920+ device and I’m seeking assistance!

NAS
DS920+, DS916+, DS211j
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello Friends,

I have encountered an unusual issue with my DS920+ device and I’m seeking assistance to troubleshoot and resolve it. Over the past few weeks, the NAS has been freezing randomly, resulting in a loss of access. This includes the inability to connect to SynologyDrive and use Synology apps such as DSfile and Music. Even SSH terminal access is not available, forcing me to power off the NAS using the hardware button to regain access.

Upon reviewing the log entries in the log center, I haven’t found any errors or warnings that indicate a problem. The only notable observation is that during one occurrence, the LED on disk one was blinking continuously, although this wasn’t consistent in subsequent incidents.

Yesterday, while performing routine maintenance on the NAS (which involved updating docker containers and some changes to NPM subdomains), the issue recurred. The NAS became unresponsive, and SynologyDrive on my MacBook reported connection problems. I checked the indicator lights, but they appeared normal with no unusual blinking. Initially, I suspected a network issue and attempted a network cable reset, but it didn’t resolve the problem. Ultimately, I had to power off the NAS using the hardware button. However, no relevant information regarding the issue was found in the Log Center.

Useful info about my configuration:
  • Machine is a DS920+ 20GB RAM, with 3 disks in the slots, running DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 6
  • In Bay 1, 2TB SSD (SHR Basic) for Docker, MailPlus and Virtual Machine Manager
  • In Bay 2 and 3, 8TB WD Enterprise HDD (SHR) for homes folders, music, photos and some other stuff
  • VMM is running one VDSM that acts a VPN Gateway for a my LAN devices
  • Only official Synology packages are running and everything is up-to-date

I’m seeking guidance to troubleshoot and find a solution to this problem. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue? Are there additional logs or sources of information, aside from the Log Center, that might provide insight? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
TIA

Do you mean because of the extra RAM I have plugged in? But I don't see any warning about the RAM!
I hear you but that doesn’t mean the issues is still not with the ram in some way. These type of issues might be hard to detect but removing the extra ram could be a way to start troubleshooting. Just an idea.

I hear you but that doesn’t mean the issues is still not with the ram in some way. These type of issues might be hard to detect but removing the extra ram could be a way to start troubleshooting. Just an idea.
I See, good thinking! That is indeed an option I will explore..

I don't recall, do you use a UPS? If you do is the battery healthy, and if you don't may be there's a spate of power fluctuations that affected the NAS but not other devices.

I heard one of my UPS switch yesterday but the others didn't. My light didn't flicker, the desk phone didn't beep to say it was off/on charge, etc. etc.

The unofficial amount of RAM could be the problem, or not, so taking it out and testing, and reseating and testing again. That would be a first thing in the NAS to check.

As for hardware not alerting before crashing, I once had an iMac that started to randomly crash. Switching out the HDD fixed it. Not saying the NAS has a HDD issue, just that there were no warnings logged when it happened.

do you use a UPS
No not using a UPS.
if you don't may be there's a spate of power fluctuations that affected the NAS but not other devices.
That could be possible, but then I think wouldn't it also effect my second NAS (DS916+) because they are both in the same place and using the same power source.
As for hardware not alerting before crashing, I once had an iMac that started to randomly crash. Switching out the HDD fixed it. Not saying the NAS has a HDD issue, just that there were no warnings logged when it happened.
I hear you 😔
The unofficial amount of RAM could be the problem, or not, so taking it out and testing, and reseating and testing again. That would be a first thing in the NAS to check.
That is something I will definitely do and explore…

+1 for UPS, regardless of this current issue.
That could be possible, but then I think wouldn't it also effect my second NAS (DS916+) because they are both in the same place and using the same power source.
Sure, but not 100% the case. There might be an issue with your current NAS to begin with that is showing problems in this particular case. Something that 916 is not affected with.

Your current problem could come from any number of sources. Power, RAM, drives, etc... Trying to eliminate it one by one would be a way to go just because your are taking a stab in the dark here with no logs reporting anything.

Absolutely invest in a UPS.
Yes, it is on my Christmas list 😉
-- post merged: --

etc... Trying to eliminate it one by one would be a way to go just because your are taking a stab in the dark here with no logs reporting anything.
I hear you, that is my plan. I’m going to start by removing the extra RAM and see what happens!

I want to report that removing the additional (third-party) memory did not have any impact on my issue. The NAS has still frozen a few times since I removed the memory module.

This makes it challenging to pinpoint the problem, as I am unsure where else to look for a solution.

One suspicion I have is that the SSD (Crucial MX500 2TB) might be the culprit. I base this assumption on the observation that the LED of Disk 1 (the SSD) blinks excessively when the NAS freezes.

However, I am hesitant to try swapping the SSD out since it runs Docker, VM, and several Synology apps, and I cannot easily test if this action would indeed resolve the problem.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas on how to troubleshoot and resolve this issue, I would greatly appreciate your input. Please feel free to offer any potential solutions.

Thank you for your assistance in advance.

Runs Docker and VM you say? Could it be that some container or VM process is killing the box? Maybe try and stop certain containers and see if that will make a difference. Depending how often this happens it might be an issue to detect it, but there could be a "rogue" process/container causing the issue as well.

Runs Docker and VM you say? Could it be that some container or VM process is killing the box? Maybe try and stop certain containers and see if that will make a difference
That is a possibility...I will start with the VMs and look which container could be the problem. The only thing is all the containers I'm currently running are daily in use, and I cannot exactly pinpoint when it happens, so stopping the containers and wait to see what happens is kind of tricky.
Is there another way to examine the containers for possible faults?
-- post merged: --

I had another question. Do you think that turning off the VMs would be sufficient enough to locate the issue or would I need to delete them?

Is there another way to examine the containers for possible faults?
Personally, I have CPU/ram monitoring per container, so if there is an issue with one I would notice it that way. But again, that works when I have an obvious problem that one particular container is causing havoc. If this is some bug that will not reflect as high CPU/ram usage then it will be almost impossible to detect.

Do you think that turning off the VMs would be sufficient enough to locate the issue or would I need to delete them?
Perfectly fine.

Today unfortunately the NAS frooze again. I can rule out that the VMs where a problem as I already had removed Virtual Machine Manager completely. Makes it much harder to find the problem.
In my opinion I have 3 options left to rule out and find the trigger.
  • docker macvlan network (don’t know why this could be a problem, because I used it for quite a long time on my old NAS DS916 without any problems)
  • docker itself ?
  • last I can think of is the SSD
@Rusty what do you think? Any advice or ideas?

Hmm it will be tricky to detect this one without some logs/metrics or anything that can clearly show how the NAS behaves.

My money is on a docker/container segment, but it could be a drive as well. Freezing is usually a RAM problem (followed by a reboot) but you have ruled that out already.

How often does this happen? Is it daily, or is it during a particular time of day or in operation? Can you point to anything that you are actively doing? Is backup going, or anything like that?

How often does this happen? Is it daily, or is it during a particular time of day or in operation? Can you point to anything that you are actively doing? Is backup going, or anything like that?
Is it when a friend pops in, that friend that wears nylon trousers and rubber-soled shoes? We once tracked down a rebooting [poorly earthed] test-rig to a guy that seemed to emit static. It took weeks to work it out.

Is it when a friend pops in, that friend that wears nylon trousers and rubber-soled shoes? We once tracked down a rebooting [poorly earthed] test-rig to a guy that seemed to emit static. It took weeks to work it out.
We are having a serious problem here Fred! :D Man you crack me up every time!

Fix It Shane Johnson GIF by Power

;)

Well it usually happens after I have done something with docker e.g. maintenance or installed a new docker container. I do everything through Portainer, I don’t use the synology GUI anymore.
And it always happens after a few hours or sometimes the next day. Until now it didn’t happen instantly when I’m busy on the NAS.
First I thought it was the VM because I used that for testing, but that is ruled out as I removed everything two days ago.

Yesterday I did some maintenance, updated a few docker containers, everything was okay until just a few hours ago and then it happened, wasn’t doing anything the NAS was just idle and then I noticed that I couldn’t use one of my apps (Bitwarden) anymore, so I tried to login into the NAS and I couldn’t. But this time every LED on the NAS were normal, none of them were blinking fast like it would on other occasions when it happened.
So the only way to get access to the NAS was a hard restart.

For now I have stopped the two containers that are using the macvlan network to rule that out, I don’t know if stopping the containers is sufficient enough for that to test.

Other than that I really don’t know what else to do…

don’t know if stopping the containers is sufficient enough for that to test.
It will be.

I hear you and the fact that those services are in need it will be hard to stop them for a longer period of time. Personally I really can’t say anything for sure but I can tell you that I had a similar experience at one point and the reason was a single docker container that was causing havoc. (can’t recall tbh)

if you want you could send me the list of containers in private and maybe I could point out some usual suspects that I have had problematic dealings in the past.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Old thread notice: There have been no replies in this thread for quite some time. The last reply was on .
The content in this thread may no longer be relevant. It might be better to open a new thread instead.