i have a question about sound levels and vibrations

Currently reading
i have a question about sound levels and vibrations

NAS
DS920+
if you are using four 7200 rpm nas disks in a nas then there is a chance that the nas disks will be loud and there will be rattling sounds and the sounds are louder when the disks are in use. there are a lot of vibrations and that's bad for the nas disks. to solve this problem you have to add velcro strips or dynamat strips either in the nas disk bay or on the sides of the nas disk holder and that will keep the nas disk holder firmly in place and it will stop the vibrations

if you are using two 5900 rpm nas disks in a nas and the nas disks are in use and you are reading\writing then you shouldn't hear any sounds coming from the nas if you are standing near the nas and you can only hear faint rustling sounds if you put your ear on nas

i want to know how will the sound level be if you are using four 5900 rpm nas disks? my guess is that the faint rustling sounds will be a bit louder. i want to ask:-

1) will you be able to hear sounds if you are reading\writing and you are standing near the nas? or no and you can only hear sounds if you put your ear on the nas?

2) is there a need to use velcro strips or dynamat strips if you are using four 5900 rpm nas disks or no need?

1) will you be able to hear sounds if you are reading\writing and you are standing near the nas? or no and you can only hear sounds if you put your ear on the nas?
Depends on the drives (and their size as well). With 3TB you probably won't hear them unless you are very close. With 4TB+ you will hear them for sure while standing even further away.

2) is there a need to use velcro strips or dynamat strips if you are using four 5900 rpm nas disks or no need?
What drives are you using? Do you hear anything? In case of slower drives, again, with bigger capacity drives you will hear them as well once you start using 4TB or larger. It also depends on how annoyed you are by it, where the nas is located, what the surface, what operations are being executed, etc.

What drives are you using? Do you hear anything?
i am currently using two ironwolf 4tb. if i am reading\writing then i cant hear anything when i am standing next to the nas. i want to know if it will be the same if i am using four ironwolf 4tb

Last edited:
Went from 2x 4TB RED 5400's to 2x 6TB Ironwolf 7200's in my 718+ Minimal sound difference... Larger Cache on drive. Seems a bit faster in operation. No heat difference noticed either.
720+ started life wit 2x 6TB Ironwolf 7200's.... In different location... Hear it occasionally, nothing bad.

Both SHR

I cannot prove it - but it is my opinion that 7200 RPM drives are simply "louder" in general than slower RPM drives. The make/model of drive can also impact this, I for example run on HGST 7200 RPM deskstars. They are louder drives - but also very stable, reliable, and long lasting which are more important factors to me. With DS1815, I did utilize foam bumpers and velcro on the inside of trays to help mitigate. The tray design for the DS1819+ is tighter and not as noisy so no need there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.