DS-1817+,DS-1817,DS-1817+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hiya,

I started with an 1817+ with 8x4TB WD Red drives in SHR-1. All good.

I replaced two 4TB drives with two 10TB WD Red drives later on which gave me an additional 6TB space. All good.

Then as money was tight I thought instead of buying another 10TB I'll get something a bit smaller and pop that in.

With one 8TB of course I get no expandable space despite the calculator showing I should, however the calc only shows a green fields setup and not changes later. Whoopsie.

So my question, if I buy another 8TB and pop it in, will I get 4TB of expansion now that the 2nd 8TB drive has the 1st 8TB drive it can set itself up with.

Or do I need to nuke the whole storage volume and recreate it to get it to utilise the space on the 8TB?

Kind regards,
Mark

Last edited:
Forget the 8T. You can add only larger drives... 10T (or greater) to increase capacity. It's covered in the Knowledge Center under "adding a larger drive".

OK that makes sense. Create a volume with 5 x 4TB, then add 1 x 8TB, then add the 2 x 10TB

Then in future I should be able to replace 4TB with 8TB and it should expand by 4TB each time as expected?

OK that makes sense. Create a volume with 5 x 4TB, then add 1 x 8TB, then add the 2 x 10TB

Then in future I should be able to replace 4TB with 8TB and it should expand by 4TB each time as expected?
No. In the future, you will also only be able to use 10+. Nuking and starting over only gives you the option to incorporate the 8TB into this setup atm, but considering you are running with 2x10T, then expansion will only be possible with 10+ drive.

I made another whoopsie. I moved drive 1 from NAS 2, to drive bay 1 on NAS 3 - it got a bit confused about which NAS it was.

I'm assuming the NAS will check for DSM in the drives in drive bay order from drive bay 1 through 8 until it finds a good one?

so if I want to replace the drive in drive bay 1 on NAS 3 I should either CLEAN the drive from NAS 2 first, or turn NAS 3 off and shuffle the drives around so a NAS 3 drive is in bay 1 then boot it up.

Or just suck it up and do it will the NAS is running? when a drive is added to the storage pool does it get DSM written to it then?

sorry i probably should have started another thread

nas 2 is an 1817 filled with WD red drives, nas 3 is an 1817+ filled with mixed drives

I want to move all my reds into NAS3 so the best drives are in the best nas

i was curious to know when DSM gets written to drives moved from one syno NAS to another.

ie. I do not like the idea of having NAS2 DSM existing on drives that are in NAS3, so I hope the NAS3 DSM gets written to all drives in NAS3 at some point, I assume when the drive is added to the NAS3 storage pool?

I made another whoopsie. I moved drive 1 from NAS 2, to drive bay 1 on NAS 3 - it got a bit confused about which NAS it was.

Was this the only drive present. If so, it's just a tiny DSM migration issue, assuming the NAS models are compatible.

You provided insufficient info to answer any questions... for example... NAS model, number of drives present, RAID array history of migrated drive, RAID array of existing drives in the destination NAS... formatting... ext4 vs btrfs.

You should spend some time reading the fine manual, instead of moving drives about willy-nilly.

As Rusty said, DSM is written to every drive. And the NAS hardware recalls the most recent version it has seen.

Here is current state:

Diskstation 1817+Current TB
WD Red10
WD Red4
WD Red4
WD Red10
WD Red4
WD Red4
WD Red8
WD Red4
Diskstation2 1817
WD Red4
WD Red4
WD Red4
WD Red4
WD Red4
WD Black2
WD Red3
WD Black4
Diskstation3 1817+
WD Green2
WD Black2
WD Black2
WD Red3
WD Red3
WD Red3
WD REA2
WD Red3

all diskstations are configured SHR-1

primary data shares are on DS1 and replicated to DS2 and DS3.

desired state is to move the 4TB WD Reds from Diskstation2 to Diskstation3 so DS3 has a full set of WD reds of 3TB and 4TB capacities. The 3's will be replaced in the future with 8's.

I have deleted the storage volume Diskstation2 in preparation for the move.

I have pulled the first 4TB drive from Diskstation2 bay 1 and replaced the WD Green in Diskstation3 bay 1

I found DSM issue booting up Diskstation3 so shut NAS down and moved WD Black from DS3 bay 2 to bay 1 and put 4TB Red into bay 2

DS3 booted up fine now and started a repair onto the 4TB Red in DS3 bay 2.

I will rinse and repeat for the other 2TB drives, then one or two of the 3TB drives until all the 4TB's are moved over to DS3.

I'm happy to use repair on DS3 than delete the storage volume and start over. i can at least continue to maintain some backups of DS1 this way.

Finally all the mixed disks with go into DS2 and it will be the recipient of any drives replaced in DS3 with 8TB's.

DS1 I will replace the 8TB with a new 10TB as recommended earlier in this thread, so that 8TB in DS1 will end up in DS3.

That's my plan anyway. :)

Mark

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.