I see hidden files in My Drive - how do I hide them?

Currently reading
I see hidden files in My Drive - how do I hide them?

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I'm using Synology Drive including the iOS version. When I go to 'My Drive' I see the folders I've created but I also see .Maildir, sieve and .dovcot.svbin. Obviously I'm sensible and don't fiddle, but I want to make Drive available to other users who will be confused. Why are these hidden files visible, how can I hide them?

FWIW they also appear when browsing in File Station -> home.

Is it because I'm running Mail Station - not MailPlus? I noticed that when I logged into the Synology demo users don't see hidden files. But there MailPlus is running. Perhaps it hides hidden mail files better, or elsewhere?

I'm not averse to upgrading to MailPlus if that does the trick.

Is it because I'm running Mail Station - not MailPlus?
Yes, this is why you have these .Maildir etc items.

Because I did want people ’cleaning up’ and then give me the problem that their mail was corrupted, I use LDAP Server and a duplicate set of user accounts. These accounts have restricted package access: Mail Station, and DSM to enable password management. I then configured Mail Server to use LDAP users and not local DSM users.

Once done I used a DSM admin account to migrate over the mail files and folders from the DSM /homes/<user> to the equivalent home folders for the LDAP accounts. It worked and Mail Station found the migrated DSM user’s mail in the LDAP user’s login.

I wish that Mail Server used somewhere safer for the mail files.

MailPlus Server uses its own shared folder for this.

Yes, this is why you have these .Maildir etc items.

Because I did want people ’cleaning up’ and then give me the problem that their mail was corrupted, I use LDAP Server and a duplicate set of user accounts. These accounts have restricted package access: Mail Station, and DSM to enable password management. I then configured Mail Server to use LDAP users and not local DSM users.

Once done I used a DSM admin account to migrate over the mail files and folders from the DSM /homes/<user> to the equivalent home folders for the LDAP accounts. It worked and Mail Station found the migrated DSM user’s mail in the LDAP user’s login.

I wish that Mail Server used somewhere safer for the mail files.

MailPlus Server uses its own shared folder for this.
Yes, clever. But I've never really understood LDAP, even when I think I was running one under Mac OS X Server. I have fewer than five users on one server and I think I'd prefer to pay for another five on the other server than set up LDAP.

I'm trying to KISS. Just use Synology apps and not to have to ask for too much help here!

I considered setting up MailPlus in high availability between my DS1520+ and DS218+. Doing this would allow me to the combined 10 free licences. But then I read the doc and it still needed to use directory based user accounts (LDAP), so I would still need this complication. Plus I’d need no NAS issues!

As for LDAP service on Mac OS X Server, yeah I did this for a while and wished I hadn’t. I found it somewhat confusing for a home setup. But on DSM using LDAP Server is just an alternate set of users/groups that you can have available on f you need it. I only use it for Mail Server on DSM, but I also use it in SRM’s VPN Plus so I don’t have to have local users on the router.

I considered setting up MailPlus in high availability between my DS1520+ and DS218+. Doing this would allow me to the combined 10 free licences. But then I read the doc and it still needed to use directory based user accounts (LDAP), so I would still need this complication. Plus I’d need no NAS issues!

As for LDAP service on Mac OS X Server, yeah I did this for a while and wished I hadn’t. I found it somewhat confusing for a home setup. But on DSM using LDAP Server is just an alternate set of users/groups that you can have available on f you need it. I only use it for Mail Server on DSM, but I also use it in SRM’s VPN Plus so I don’t have to have local users on the router.
I've seen - but not read - your tutorial on setting up LDAP for Mail. Not read cos it involves the command line and I assumed this was an 'unofficial' method. But if you're saying LDAP is needed for high availability there may be Synology instructions to do that? Because 10 licences would be enough and I've nothing against high availability!

I've upgraded one server to MailPlus and I can see it has useful features plus ease of use. Most folk will probably keep using a client email app. I haven't worked out if they will need a license or if the licence is only required for the fancy webmail. I guess the former though.

Installing MailPlus and migrating (following official instructions) worked fine but I still have my unhidden and other files in My Drive. I assume these will disappear if I uninstall Mail Server... I've made copies all the same.

Last edited:
I think the command line bit was to enable a catch all email account into Mail Server. This feature is in MailPlus GUI but not in Mail Server. There shouldn’t be any command line needed just for LDAP Server.

MailPlus should migrate the Mail Server user files and folders into its own shared folder. But it probably leaves the originals in place in user home folders. Chances are you can delete those… rename one user’s stuff and see if things still work. If it does work then you can remove the Mail Server user stuff.

MailPlus should migrate the Mail Server user files and folders into its own shared folder. But it probably leaves the originals in place in user home folders. Chances are you can delete those… rename one user’s stuff and see if things still work. If it does work then you can remove the Mail Server user stuff.
Great minds think alike!

The MailPlus licence is assigned to user accounts, regardless of using the webmail interface. I would need seven licences and so to avoid something like £200 for a five user licence the HA configuration is needed: but you can’t use DSM local accounts in HA, so my LDAP ‘trick’ is still needed to use MailPlus for free or a standalone, but safer, Mail Server.

I did play with adding CardDAV plugin to MailStation, and a standalone Roundcube v4/5. It worked but TBH webmail is not that important for me.

1. Log in to your Synology Drive using your admin account.
  2. Open File Station and navigate to the folder where the hidden files are located.
  3. Click on the "View" button in the toolbar and select "Options."
  4. In the "Options" window, click on the "File Filters" tab.
  5. Check the box next to "Hide hidden files and folders" and click "OK."
  6. The hidden files and folders should now be hidden from view.
If you need to show hidden files mac later, you can simply uncheck the "Hide hidden files and folders" option in the File Filters tab.

1. Log in to your Synology Drive using your admin account.
  2. Open File Station and navigate to the folder where the hidden files are located.
  3. Click on the "View" button in the toolbar and select "Options."
  4. In the "Options" window, click on the "File Filters" tab.
  5. Check the box next to "Hide hidden files and folders" and click "OK."
  6. The hidden files and folders should now be hidden from view.
If you need to show hidden files mac later, you can simply uncheck the "Hide hidden files and folders" option in the File Filters tab.
Or try to use such option as show hidden files mac

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.