Currently reading
I updated my Linksys WHW03 firmware Now cannot conect to console

NAS
DS213J
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I updated my Linksys WHW03 firmware Now cannot conect to console. When I type in 192.168.1.1 I used to get the linksys console. I tried to set up xx.synology.me DNS (not happening), and port forwarded 80 and 443 through the console. After the firmware update now my 192.168.1.1 address goes to this web page redirect and I cannot get into my router. Any ideas on how to get past this? Thanks,

1670471655111.png

Last edited:
That makes sense. It's as if it's using a different DNS server adn looping back. This is what's in the bar at first http://192.168.1.1/ui/local/ustatic/http_blocking/. Then when I click past the "you are not secure" certificate warning I"m on this https://192.168.1.1/. And it shows the web page redirect aboove. I think DNS is sending 192.168.1.1 to my NAS DNS entry that I attempted to make for my Wordpress site instead of to the router. Researach last night taught me that I should have disconnected the NAS from the lan before doing the firmware update. Linksys support was weak they said "factory reset". That's a huge deal as I have a lot fo devices that will need to be re-logged in. Any ideas on how to access the router console? I thought of disconnecting the NAS and network switch, plugging a macbook pro directly into the router then trying to fix DNS settings in there and then factory resetting the NAS. I would rather reset the nas as I'm just sitll learning my way around it and nothing critical is on it. I still have the old nas offline with all my data and it's backed up. But if there is a simpler way to maybe fix or undo those DNS settigns that synology did I'd rather not reset anything.
-- post merged: --

Does the same thing happen when you use HTTP instead of HTTPS?
Yes both same result

Has the Linksys router console changed to a different HTTP/HTTPS port in this update? This sounds like it is using local loopback based on your port forwarding rules.
That would make sense. Any idea what ports I might try?

Ok, I got back into my router console. Had to shut down the NAS, reboot the router (note factory reset just unplug and restart), then change password to an even longer stronger one (new requirement with new firmware I guess). Used the mobile wifi app interface to remove the port forwarding on 80 adn 443. Now I can get into my router management console with 192.168.1.1. Yeah! But I'm afraid to Power the Synology back on. I think this all started because the synology.me set up jacked my router. Quick connect forks fine for photos and file. But I noticed the auto setup for synology.me DDNS failed out saying "your system has two routers, put the cable modem in bridge mode". That's not it. I have a mesh system. WHW03 model from Linksys. I guess synology does not support this router either with Synology.me or with manual port forwarding.

I have a mesh system. WHW03 model from Linksys. I guess synology does not support this router either with Synology.me or with manual port forwarding.
I don't see how a router setup of any kind from any vendor would have anything to do with a NAS DDNS public service in terms that you are unable to log into the router UI.

You can try and use the Synology Account page and terminate the DDNS services from your NAS there. Then boot up your NAS and see how things are holding up.

Last edited:
I don't see how a router setup of any kind from any vendor would have anything to do with a NAS DDNS public service in terms that you are unable to log into the router UI.

You can try and use the Synology Account page and terminate the DDNS services from your NAS there. Then boot up your NAS and see how things are holding up.
Thanks Rusty, I hadn't thought of using the Synology Account Page. The DSM console would not let me do it. The router issue was separate. The firmware update caused the problem and that is resolved now. I'm going to try terminating and re-doing all the DDNS stuff. See what happens.

Nope, it did it again. I redid my NAS wordpress config and lost access to the router config page via it's ip address again. Somehow synology's DDNS is redirecting the wrong IP address for the web page.

You aren’t using the DSM feature that configures router firewall/port forwarding using UPnP?
No, I tried. Turned on UPnP on the router, tried the DSM feature to auto configure it failed. My router is not on the list. It's a mesh router system and synology thinks the 2nd router in the mesh is a ISP gateway that needs to be put into bridge mode. So, I did manual port forwarding. port 80 / 80 to IP of my Nas, not IP of my router. and port 443 / 443 same. The DDNS or the router thinks that IP X.X.X.8 is the same as X.X.X.1. If I type in either IP address they both go to the same web page message above. I would think that X.X.X.8 should go to the web page and X.X.X.1 should still go to the router management console. Linksys support is non-existent. They had no idea what I was talking about. Said I should just factory reset my router. But I found that just turning off port forwarding via my mobile app device (through wifi) which was still working, allowed me to undo the port forwarding and again access the router manager vai X.X.X.1. Weird

Do you have reverse proxy configured on the nas?

Also did you turn on remote management on the router? Routers usually default to port 443 for remote management and if your nas is using 443 as well you’re going to have conflicts.

No, I didn't. Never got that far. I did find some info suggesting that this is normal behavior for DNS and the router and that I need to use 8080 or another port other than 80 for webstation and Apache. I don't know. I never did get the connection to work, just lost access to the router interface.

Also did you turn on remote management on the router? Routers usually default to port 443 for remote management and if your nas is using 443 as well you’re going to have conflicts.
I didn't have remote management that I'm aware of. But if that is what the mobile app uses via wifi then I guess I did. I did forward both 80 adn 443 though. Maybe that was the probelm. Maybe if I only did 80 that would work and still allow access to the router config via 443. I just wish this was documented somewhere, so much trial and error. I also notice that photos, video station and a bunch of other apps all share port 80.

Last edited:
I think the best way to help you is just start showing a bunch of screenshots of what your configurations are. This sounds like a configuration issue and not so much device problems.

When showing screenshots you can redact public ip from isp and ddns names. Internal names or internal ip addresses doesn’t matter; unless names of people.

Also disconnect the other mesh points that you have and just start with the root router…who knows if one of those mesh is acting or changed to router mode.

Nope, it did it again. I redid my NAS wordpress config and lost access to the router config page via it's ip address again. Somehow synology's DDNS is redirecting the wrong IP address for the web page.

it’s very difficult (for me) to follow what’s going on here. But some thoughts. You talk about ddns, accessing router, nas, and Wordpress site, not using reverse proxy yet….you should have all separate port forwards (each service will have to have a custom public facing port number) for each of your service.

If you’re looking to route by name router.domain, nas.domain , Wordpress.domain then you need to setup the reverse proxy

I think the best way to help you is just start showing a bunch of screenshots of what your configurations are. This sounds like a configuration issue and not so much device problems.

When showing screenshots you can redact public ip from isp and ddns names. Internal names or internal ip addresses doesn’t matter; unless names of people.

Also disconnect the other mesh points that you have and just start with the root router…who knows if one of those mesh is acting or changed to router mode.

it’s very difficult (for me) to follow what’s going on here. But some thoughts. You talk about ddns, accessing router, nas, and Wordpress site, not using reverse proxy yet….you should have all separate port forwards (each service will have to have a custom public facing port number) for each of your service.

If you’re looking to route by name router.domain, nas.domain , Wordpress.domain then you need to setup the reverse proxy
Sorry, it's hard to follow because it's hard for me to explain, I'm so new at this. I have some screen shots of configuration in another post. Basically, I'm trying to host wordrpess on the 920 and access it with a synology.me name. I saw some youtube videos that made it look simple. Never got the external access working. I'll do some more reseach, try again and post config screen shots tomorrow. Thanks!

Sorry, it's hard to follow because it's hard for me to explain, I'm so new at this. I have some screen shots of configuration in another post. Basically, I'm trying to host wordrpess on the 920 and access it with a synology.me name. I saw some youtube videos that made it look simple. Never got the external access working. I'll do some more reseach, try again and post config screen shots tomorrow. Thanks!

I’m not familiar with Wordpress but my guess is it’s having a hard time routing what to where. If Wordpress is using 443 and so is the nas your not going to be able to get to one or the other. You need to setup reverse proxy. 443 forwarded from router to nas to handle 443, then rp entry of Wordpress (sub)domain name which will map out from 443 to some sort of local (maybe custom) port number of word press.

Then another rp for dsm (name) 443 to 5001 which is synology’s internal port number.

Again I have 0 experience of word press but I’ am squared away with reverse proxy routing once I understood it a bit thank you to @Rusty for it about 2 years ago now. Plus the resource doc was self explanatory. My troubles that I went to rusty was when I was trying rp services or things that weren’t web (http/https) based like windows apps of either drive or active backup. Those you need to use their own specific ports ( can even do custom ports forwarded to its default ports of that service)

Maybe a 1:1 session would be a better solution than trying to interpret the text and images on the forum post. If you want, contact me in private, and if you are open to getting some remote help, maybe we can try and fix this issue that way. WP, like any other web app, is not that complicated to configure, so as @Gerard said before, it has to be a configuration issue on some level.

Maybe a 1:1 session would be a better solution than trying to interpret the text and images on the forum post. If you want, contact me in private, and if you are open to getting some remote help, maybe we can try and fix this issue that way. WP, like any other web app, is not that complicated to configure, so as @Gerard said before, it has to be a configuration issue on some level.
Thanks Rusty. I'm going to research and try the reverse proxy in the meantime. I'll PM you as well, really appreciate it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.