NAS
DS718+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello all,

Is it possible to import my iCloud calendars into Synology Calendar so that they sync each other?

I was able to import one of my iCloud calendars to Synology calendar (through .ics import), but all it could do was show the events I already have. I could not figure out how to get it to sync, either when adding an event to the Synology calendar, or adding an event on my actual iCloud calendar.

Unless I am missing something, it seems it isn't possible to have iCloud calendar and Synology calendar sync to each other. I thought I would ask here though, just in case I am doing something wrong or missing a step somewhere when importing my iCloud calendar to Synology calendar.

Thanks!

Tim

Syncing and importing are 2 different things.

If you want to sync your calender, you need to use the CalDAV protocol (supported by Synology Calendar). I don't know anything about Apple stuff, so I don't know if iCloud supports it.

Syncing and importing are 2 different things.

If you want to sync your calender, you need to use the CalDAV protocol (supported by Synology Calendar). I don't know anything about Apple stuff, so I don't know if iCloud supports it.

Hi Shadow, and thanks for the reply!

I definitely want them to sync to each other. I'm hoping that someone else here has Apple stuff and has been able to get the two calendars to sync.

Thanks!

Tim

Oh wait....
two calendars to sync.
That's actually different cookie..

Then you actually need to setup a (2way?) sync between 2 (CalDAV) servers.
Well, a quick google stumbled me upon this tool: pimutils/vdirsyncer .
You can probaly try to run this in docker and set it up as the 'man-in-the-middle' between your 2 calender's.

Oh wait....

That's actually different cookie..

Then you actually need to setup a (2way?) sync between 2 (CalDAV) servers.
Well, a quick google stumbled me upon this tool: pimutils/vdirsyncer .
You can probaly try to run this in docker and set it up as the 'man-in-the-middle' between your 2 calender's.

Thanks for the link. I took a look at it, but it seems to be a little too complicated to get up and running. I haven't had much luck at all with trying anything through Docker.

Looking at the Synology Calendar web page before I started this adventure, it specifically states:

Compatible with various CalDAV clients​

Calendar allows you to synchronize events with various CalDAV clients such as Apple Calendar, Outlook or Thunderbird. You have no need to update the schedules on all your different devices, and manage them just on a single platform, Calendar.

icon_01.jpg

Apple Calendar on iOS

icon_02.jpg

Apple Calendar on macOS

icon_03.jpg

Thunderbird

It seems, by that statement, that they already have the mechanism in place for this to work. I just can't find any tutorials on how to get it set up on Synology Calendar. I can export my iCloud calendar to .ics and import it to the Synology calendar, but when adding events to the iCloud calendar, and vice-versa adding events to the Synology calendar, none of the events sync. I can't find anything in the Synology calendar settings about WebDAV calendar import, which is likely what I am looking for to make this work.

Tim

What is the difference between Apple Calendar and iCloud calendar?

Apple Calendar was the original name before they came out with their iCloud platform. Now your Apple calendars are associated with your iCloud account and sync seamlessly across all the Apple devices that you are signed into your iCloud account on. If you could just go into the Synology calendar and log into your iCloud account, it would just pull all your calendars in with ease, but for whatever reason that functionality is not built into Synology calendars. The only cloud calendars is seems able to import is Google calendars. At least at this time.

Calendar allows you to synchronize events with various CalDAV clients

Hi,

I think the keyword there is “clients”. If I understood correctly, you want the servers to sync with each other. Not sure if that’s possible.

If they’re both showing up on my devices correctly, I don’t have a reason to have them sync to each other (server to server), but your use case could be different. Is it possible to elaborate on why are you trying to do it in such a way?

Last edited:
Export Apple Calendar to ics. Then, import the ics file into Synology Calendar.

Then use the sync link(s) for the Synology calendar(s) with your CalDAV devices.

Hi Telos, and thanks for the reply. Adding the .ics does indeed add all my current iCloud calendar events to my Synology calendar, but nothing new syncs between the two calendars. I think adding the sync links to all my Apple devices would overcomplicate the situation and maybe mess up things. I do appreciate the suggestion though.

Tim
-- post merged: --

Hi,

I think the keyword there is “clients”. If I understood correctly, you want the servers to sync with each other. Not sure if that’s possible.

If they’re both showing up on my devices correctly, I don’t have a reason to have them sync to each other (server to server), but your use case could be different. Is it possible to elaborate on why are you trying to do it in such a way?

Hi WST16, and thanks for the reply. Having messed with it all day, I don't think it is possible to do. In a nutshell, here is what I have and what I am trying to do:

I have 5 separate iCloud calendars, one for each member of my family. They are each shared with all family members so that we can all see each other's schedule. When I add an event to my calendar, it shows up on my other 4 family member's calendars, and their events show up on everyone else's calendar too. It works great and really simplifies our hectic schedules. Now, to what I am trying to do:

1) Import (through .ics) all 5 of our iCloud calendars to my Synology calendar. I can successfully perform this step.
2) Be able to add events to our iCloud calendars and have them show up automatically on our Synology calendars.
3) Be able to add things to our Synology calendars which then automatically show up on our iCloud calendars.

I do understand that I could create 5 new calendars in Synology calendar, and then add them to my iCloud calendar and get the results I am looking for, but it would be pretty painful to dump our iCloud calendars and start over with new Synology calendars. We all have 6+ years of events on our iCloud calendars and they themselves work without any issue.

It sounds easy, but unless Synology builds in the capability to directly access and sync to iCloud calendars (like it can with Google calendars), then I am pretty sure my attempts are at a dead end.

Tim

You can always raise it as a feature request:

I've not use Google Calendars for many years. But before iCloud/MobileMe had shared calendars we used BusySync and then BusyCal (using Apple's now deprecated Sync Services) to create family calendars that were synced between Macs and, I can't remember if it was a one-way push to, Google.

Now, just having iCloud contacts and shared calendars being used is enough of a personal 'win'. If/when I think iCloud no longer suitable then I'll move to Synology Calendars and Contacts. Your experience may be different but being home admin of email, calendars, and contacts is a thankless job.

2) Be able to add events to our iCloud calendars and have them show up automatically on our Synology calendars.
3) Be able to add things to our Synology calendars which then automatically show up on our iCloud calendars.
They’ll show up on iOS calendar not iCloud. See below.

I do understand that I could create 5 new calendars in Synology calendar, and then add them to my iCloud calendar
Yes, you can create calendars for the Synology users, but they’ll have nothing to do with iCloud. They’ll sync with the iOS Calendar on the users devices (the clients).

but it would be pretty painful to dump our iCloud calendars and start over with new Synology calendars.
You don’t have to start over. They’ll be two separate calendars, synced separately, one for iCloud and one for Synology calendar for each user/device. So it’s not one or the other, you can have both at the same time. When creating events, you choose which calendar to save to (iCalendar or Synology), you can also set a default calendar in iOS. I’m using it that way.

A Synology calendar user can have other users “see” particular entries (the shared ones).

Adding the .ics does indeed add all my current iCloud calendar events to my Synology calendar, but nothing new syncs between the two calendars.
Open the Synology calendar app. Click the dropdown arrow for the calendar you wish to sync... Select "CalDAV Account"... copy the link... insert into your calendar client.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.