Currently reading
I'm tearing my hair out!

NAS
DS218J
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Several times now I've factory reset my DS218J in order to get Synology Drive Client to run properly but I always end up in a blind alley. The program can't find my computer: Synology Assistant also can't find my computer. Today I followed advice and found that a laptop on the network successfully found my desktop from a browser - and also from Synology Assistant!

In Drive Client I evaded the Quickconnect option and then ground to a halt when entering backup destination data: the app couldn't find my computer.

I have a simple system comprising a desktop running W10 and the usual printer, scanner and audio devices. My only connection to the www is via a powerline link to the router. I had Drive client working once but then killed by trying to move files around in the NAS. I sense that Drive Client is using the same facility as Assistant and cannot understand why they can't connect. I have tried a direct connection from NAS to computer but that didn't work.

Please tell me the secret sauce so I can get this simple setup to work, thank you.

Last edited:
I'm too impatient: tried Assistant = OK (only without leading backslashes!). Tried Drive Client failed with and without \\. Over to you
-- post merged: --

Ok but not ideal. Turn on windows fw and try again, if working then kaspersky too and try again.
My Mistake, I tried Drive client using the search button to identify server. Failed to continue task.

Ok but not ideal. Turn on windows fw and try again, if working then kaspersky too and try again.
Interestingly, in Drive Client, the search button found the \\address failed immediately but the plain address insertion produced a 'slow' failed response.

Sorry for this disjointed response but I'm off now until circa 4pm - audiologist appointment.

Upvote 0
Well I'm not really familiar with drive client, my advice goto synology website downloads page, select your model NAS and download client app. Uninstall and reinstall try again
Tried that twice already.
Many thanks for your exhaustive efforts to resolve my problem - I really appreciate you sticking with me and your detailed knowledge of Windows nooks and crannies. Now, where's the feedback button?

Upvote 0
So I had a look at drive client, if you already have it installed then click the icon in the system tray (red arrow) which opens window in right of image below, click the 3 dots icon indicated by the green arrow
1601566208758.png

Choose settings option from menu, it will open up the main interface of the client, in the main box, choose create and see if you are either already connected, or can select NAS using drop down list / search. If SA can see nas then this should too. If it can't then I'm afraid your only option will be to raise a ticket with synology as I have exhausted all options that I am aware of. Good luck

Upvote 0
So I had a look at drive client, if you already have it installed then click the icon in the system tray (red arrow) which opens window in right of image below, click the 3 dots icon indicated by the green arrow
View attachment 2244
Choose settings option from menu, it will open up the main interface of the client, in the main box, choose create and see if you are either already connected, or can select NAS using drop down list / search. If SA can see nas then this should too. If it can't then I'm afraid your only option will be to raise a ticket with synology as I have exhausted all options that I am aware of. Good luck
Thanks for your continued interest Perci. In desperation I turned to Synology Support and, to my surprise, the chat facility turned out to be useful and user friendly. A little known fact emerged: Synology Drive Server must first be installed from the NAS's Package Centre in order to 'belong' to the NAS. I didn't know that! So that's the way for Windows to recognise the NAS.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back