Currently reading
I'm tearing my hair out!

NAS
DS218J
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Several times now I've factory reset my DS218J in order to get Synology Drive Client to run properly but I always end up in a blind alley. The program can't find my computer: Synology Assistant also can't find my computer. Today I followed advice and found that a laptop on the network successfully found my desktop from a browser - and also from Synology Assistant!

In Drive Client I evaded the Quickconnect option and then ground to a halt when entering backup destination data: the app couldn't find my computer.

I have a simple system comprising a desktop running W10 and the usual printer, scanner and audio devices. My only connection to the www is via a powerline link to the router. I had Drive client working once but then killed by trying to move files around in the NAS. I sense that Drive Client is using the same facility as Assistant and cannot understand why they can't connect. I have tried a direct connection from NAS to computer but that didn't work.

Please tell me the secret sauce so I can get this simple setup to work, thank you.

Right, so pc can see router, router can see nas, pc can browse to nas via chrome, but windows cant see nas. Hmm
If you log into NAS in chrome and open package center, then try to install or update anything, does it work (ie can NAS access internet)

Upvote 0
Last edited:
OOPS sorry: yes my router is at 192.168.1.1
-- post merged: --

Right, so pc can see router, router can see nas, pc can browse to nas via chrome, but windows cant see nas. Hmm
If you log into NAS in chrome and open package center, then try to install or update anything, does it work (ie can NAS access internet)

"windows cant see nas" I think it can via network address +/- :5000.
Yes I downloaded and started Dowload Station from the Package Centre.

Upvote 0
To clarify by windows explorer i mean this:
1601380255940.png

Not to be confused with internet explorer. I have circled in green what you need to enter to reach the NAS, it will not work without the \\

Upvote 0
I hear what you are saying but, as my screenshot confirms, it is not essential to enter the full network address - unless I am missing an important hidden message?

Upvote 0
I thought you were trying to make the NAS visible to windows so that synology drive client would work as it should, navigating to your NAS with a browser is not accessing it via windows. Windows explorer uses unc addressing, which requires a prefix of two backslashes. As this screenshot shows:
1601399029909.png

it has been established already you can access in web browser but it does not help what you want to achieve.

Did you even try my suggestion, I think no, because either you would have had:

i) a 'windows cannot access \\192.168.1.188' message,
ii) a username/password request,
iii) access to your NAS as asked for.

Being as I have given your problem a lot of my time already and solving your problem or not solving it has no consequence to anyone except you, would it have killed you to just try it first. I know typing an ip address into windows explorer will open a browser, but i also know typing a unc address will do what the picture above is showing.

Im actually leaving work now, so if you try what I suggested maybe we will be able to move forwards towards your goal tomorrow

Upvote 0
I thought you were trying to make the NAS visible to windows so that synology drive client would work as it should, navigating to your NAS with a browser is not accessing it via windows. Windows explorer uses unc addressing, which requires a prefix of two backslashes. As this screenshot shows:
View attachment 2185
it has been established already you can access in web browser but it does not help what you want to achieve.

Did you even try my suggestion, I think no, because either you would have had:

i) a 'windows cannot access \\192.168.1.188' message,
ii) a username/password request,
iii) access to your NAS as asked for.

Being as I have given your problem a lot of my time already and solving your problem or not solving it has no consequence to anyone except you, would it have killed you to just try it first. I know typing an ip address into windows explorer will open a browser, but i also know typing a unc address will do what the picture above is showing.

Im actually leaving work now, so if you try what I suggested maybe we will be able to move forwards towards your goal tomorrow
Thank you for your perseverance in working through this problem with me. I'm grateful for your assistance however I do need quite specific instruction in order to carry out your suggestions. So in following your suggestion as per your screenshot above it doesn't even illustrate the double backslash address format. What is not clear to me is exactly how how can set "windows" up to test the \\192.168.1.188 address: exactly what screen should I start with? Browser, Explorer, etc, etc ...
From your screenshot it looks like the bottom line of Explorer with Network selected - is that right? My attempt is attached: my NAS is visible [the girls are watching TV]

Upvote 0
I'm not sure why this so difficult. The instructions have been clear. Let's try an alternate approach.

Right-click the Windows Desktop and select "New" ...."Shortcut"... and suing your NAS's fixed IP... precisely do this...

3go7bnl.png

q6b0aNY.png

Click "Finish" and then double-click the created shortcut. If you are asked to sign-in, use the sign-in credentials you use for your NAS.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your perseverance in working through this problem with me. I'm grateful for your assistance however I do need quite specific instruction in order to carry out your suggestions. So in following your suggestion as per your screenshot above it doesn't even illustrate the double backslash address format. What is not clear to me is exactly how how can set "windows" up to test the \\192.168.1.188 address: exactly what screen should I start with? Browser, Explorer, etc, etc ...
From your screenshot it looks like the bottom line of Explorer with Network selected - is that right? My attempt is attached: my NAS is visible [the girls are watching TV]
It would be nice to know if this worked yet, I did provide exact instructions in post #25 (yesterday at 12:52) if you still unsure. The screenshot in post #29 shows NAS accessed by this method, which means if PC can see it, then drive client should too

Upvote 0
Last edited:
I'm not sure why this so difficult. The instructions have been clear. Let's try an alternate approach.

Right-click the Windows Desktop and select "New" ...."Shortcut"... and suing your NAS's fixed IP... precisely do this...

3go7bnl.png

q6b0aNY.png

Click "Finish" and then double-click the created shortcut. If you are asked to sign-in, use the sign-in credentials you use for your NAS.

Thanks Perci - a model of clarity (I have never put a shortcut on the Windows desktop). And it worked, producing the top-level view of my NAS folders. However Synology Assistant still finds nothing :( and Synology Drive Client likewise.

Upvote 0
Right I can solve this now, I just tested on my PC and it stopped SA finding any of 3 NAS on network. Here is how to test:

i)Click windows start, then begin to type powershell until the shortcut appears in list. Either click option to run as administrator or right click shortcut and run as administrator, uac box should ask if you want to allow this, choose yes.
ii)Type netsh advfirewall show allprofiles the expected response should be that it is enabled/on (if off forget rest of steps)
iii)In powershell window, type netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state off (then enter) this disables windows firewall completely in all connection profiles (so you know it 100% off) leave window open (to turn it back on in a minute)
iv)run synology assistant, you should see NAS in list, if it works then we can fix problem after turning firewall back on
v)Go back to powershell window, press the up arrow once, so the previous command is displayed, change off to on and press enter. Lets make sure this works before proceeding any further

Upvote 0
Right I can solve this now, I just tested on my PC and it stopped SA finding any of 3 NAS on network. Here is how to test:

i)Click windows start, then begin to type powershell until the shortcut appears in list. Either click option to run as administrator or right click shortcut and run as administrator, uac box should ask if you want to allow this, choose yes.
ii)Type netsh advfirewall show allprofiles the expected response should be that it is enabled/on (if off forget rest of steps)
iii)In powershell window, type netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state off (then enter) this disables windows firewall completely in all connection profiles (so you know it 100% off) leave window open (to turn it back on in a minute)
iv)run synology assistant, you should see NAS in list, if it works then we can fix problem after turning firewall back on
v)Go back to powershell window, press the up arrow once, so the previous command is displayed, change off to on and press enter. Lets make sure this works before proceeding any further
Unfortunately Assistant finds nothing - even if run immediately after allprofiles off.

Upvote 0
Can you then turn off windows firewall and kaspersky and try again please

in fact, leave windows fw on, just disable kaspersky and try again if SA was installed with fw on, it should allow it through

Upvote 0
Oops still found nothing after pausing Kasperskey so killed it completely - still found nothing

Firewall on Kasperskey off: still found nothing.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back