Currently reading
I'm tearing my hair out!

NAS
DS218J
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Several times now I've factory reset my DS218J in order to get Synology Drive Client to run properly but I always end up in a blind alley. The program can't find my computer: Synology Assistant also can't find my computer. Today I followed advice and found that a laptop on the network successfully found my desktop from a browser - and also from Synology Assistant!

In Drive Client I evaded the Quickconnect option and then ground to a halt when entering backup destination data: the app couldn't find my computer.

I have a simple system comprising a desktop running W10 and the usual printer, scanner and audio devices. My only connection to the www is via a powerline link to the router. I had Drive client working once but then killed by trying to move files around in the NAS. I sense that Drive Client is using the same facility as Assistant and cannot understand why they can't connect. I have tried a direct connection from NAS to computer but that didn't work.

Please tell me the secret sauce so I can get this simple setup to work, thank you.

When you say 'my computer' do you mean 'my NAS'?

When you are able to connect to the NAS, how do you do it? Do you use the NAS's local IP address? Have you reserved this address in your DHCP server [in your Internet router??] against the NAS's MAC address?

Usually client devices don't need to have the same local IP address because they don't run services for other devices. Media devices often advertise (e.g. using Bonjour) specific services for client applications to be aware. But general servers, like NAS, do benefit from having a consistent IP address that is manually configured, or at least assigned by DHCP but using a reserved IP.

You should then be able to just use this IP address when you want to access the NAS.

[From a Mac user that doesn't use Windows so hope there's nothing magical in Windows I've missed out].

Upvote 0
Hi fredbert, thanks for your interest.
I have a NAS and a desktop computer. I access the NAS with its IP address and it is registered in the router with a MAC address - although I didn't put it there. Yes, I do successfully access the NAS via its IP address - but Synology's apps fail to do so.

Upvote 0
The program can't find my computer: Synology Assistant also can't find my computer.
This is what confused me. Synology Drive Client and Synology Assistant are applications that run on your computer so why would they be looking for your computer: I'd have expected them to be looking for your NAS.

Have you enabled the NAS's auto-block feature and your computer has become added to it? (in Control Panel -> Security -> Account)

In Synology Drive Client you just have to enter the NAS's IP address and, so long as it's remains the same, then your computer will always connect to it.

Upvote 0
(In Windows) Control Panel --> Network and Sharing Center --> Change advanced sharing options.

Now see which profile is active and for that profile make sure network discovery and file and printer sharing are both enabled. If you can reach NAS by browser but not by network chances are this is off.

If this was the case, once you turn it on then NAS hostname should turn up in the network section of my computer.

Upvote 0
(In Windows) Control Panel --> Network and Sharing Center --> Change advanced sharing options.

Now see which profile is active and for that profile make sure network discovery and file and printer sharing are both enabled. If you can reach NAS by browser but not by network chances are this is off.

If this was the case, once you turn it on then NAS hostname should turn up in the network section of my computer.
Thanks BiggPerci for your suggstions. Everything is as you suggest except NAS hostname does not turn up in the network section of my computer. Neither quickconnect nor 192.168.1.88

Upvote 0
Last edited:
This is what confused me. Synology Drive Client and Synology Assistant are applications that run on your computer so why would they be looking for your computer: I'd have expected them to be looking for your NAS.

Have you enabled the NAS's auto-block feature and your computer has become added to it? (in Control Panel -> Security -> Account)

In Synology Drive Client you just have to enter the NAS's IP address and, so long as it's remains the same, then your computer will always connect to it.
Hi fredberrt, I tried colinnas, \\192.168.1.188, \\192.188.1.188:5000, and the same with /-or-\foldername, all with SSL enabled or disabled: all resulting in 'Connection failed'.
-- post merged: --

If you open powershell and type ping 192.168.1.88 what does it say
1 milliscond response.

Upvote 0
Ok, I'm a little confused that a laptop found your desktop using synology assisstant. Could you please do the following: in powershell type ipconfig /all all you need to give from this is the host name under the 'windows IP settings' and the ipv4 address under the 'ethernet adapter' section

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Here you are
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-HTICPU9
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.74(Preferred)

ok.

And what was in the NAS's auto-block list? If the laptop can connect to the NAS then use this to check.
Please tell me again how to get to the Nas's auto-block list

Upvote 0
Screenshot 2020-09-28 at 14.09.55.png

Control Panel > Security section

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
On your computer, using your web browser can you get to the DSM page? http://192.188.1.188:5000/
Yes - every time. It's how I open the NAS.

Did you get this working yet? Can you access router login, if you BT Customer put 192.168.1.254 into your browser, for all others usually 192.168.1.1
Nope, no dice. It is found every time from the Chrome browser.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back