Currently reading
Question Implementing new NAS - need fast local access over LAN

NAS
Synology 2 bay NAS DiskStation DS718+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I need to do some sort of upgrade for my office server. We've been using an old Novell server forever. I've upgraded it several times over the years. There is no new hardware that works, so I need to do something. I figured it would die 5 years ago, then I'd switch to the backup and rethink the whole thing. The reasons I stuck with it are (i) speed and (ii) reliability. I set up a RAID1. If one drive fails, it is easy to mirror in another. I'll swap drives ever few years before they break, then move one of the old drives to the backup server.

I have avoided remote access for security concerns. But now I really need it. I'm trying to work "on the road" more. In the new workflow I envision, instead of queuing up a bunch of files to copy back to the server when I get back, I'd like to just have it done.

I set up a Synology 2 bay NAS DiskStation DS718+ at my house, mainly to use plex. I might try some other stuff later. The NAS works fine for that implementation. I’ve tested remote access folders. It seems ok. But for local use - it is slow. The latency in refreshing folders would drive me nuts as my core day to day server.

I envision setting up another NAS for the office.

I’m wondering if I’d realistically need a more powerful model, or if there are some updates I could do to speed up the DS718+. I could test with what I have before buying the new NAS.

I am only running 100BaseT at the house with both network ports used. I have gigabit at the office. I’m wondering if that alone would be enough. If anyone though it would be, I could do a physical test.

The RAM is 2 g. The drives are magnetic two - WD Red 3TB NAS Hard Drive - 5400 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD30EFRX.

I wonder if the plex running on the NAS slows it down?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I would upgrade your home network to 1 GBE speeds - that alone should increase network performance. Aside from that, overall NAS performance is impacted by RAM usage and spindle speeds.....

Novell ?!?!?! The OLD one ?!?!? wow, respect.
A DS718 should be able to do the job (general speaking)
I'l like to get some higher spinning disks and get some additional memory in there.
If Plex is using (to) much resources? Check the Resource Monitor and see for your self. Depends I guess to usage.
I do not know Plex.

100Mb, man.. you should also upgrade that part (even at home AND get better Plex results) like saying goodbye to Novell (my two cents)
Get a solid good manageable switch that does support LACP so you can team your NICs. A switch without LACP support, do not bother to look at it. With teamed nics, and higher spinning disks (and in some amount more memory) you should get good results. Also look/check MTU: if you want that on a higher level it has to be adjusted on ALL network devices or it will counter you in to a lower performance.
Good switches: tp-link, netgear but use only managed switches
Hope you are good to go

I would upgrade your home network to 1 GBE speeds - that alone should increase network performance. Aside from that, overall NAS performance is impacted by RAM usage and spindle speeds.....
RAM is for NAS GUI and NAS apps very important; for LAN access to files/folders not that much. Higher spinning and NIC teaming using LACP on the other hand, that will improve a lot.

Thanks for all the tips. The others too.

The toughest thing with Novell is that it is so stable, it never breaks. SO I can’t remember much on commands. Sometimes a power outage lasts longer than the batteries and I need to check that is boots. I have a cheat sheet for swapping drives.

On the 1000 speed, back in the day it was more problematic than it was worth. The core wiring was when I moved in - 2000-2001 era. I checked a few runs and see it is 5e. So I might get 1000. I run a first switch right the router. Then spider to two more. One of the two is where the NAS is setup - the basement rack. Then I run a cable upstairs to the a fourth switch at my daily use TV. The core run from the router to the basement rack is a bit over 100 feet. I could replace that run with 6e. The others would be a ton of work. The house is old - 1928. Lots of cement. I own two hammerdrills. The cement walls make wi-fi a pain. I have a LUMA setup with 6 antennas now. 4 would have been enough, but they were 3 backs. They have a wired link back to the ethernet. This was all a huge effort to do. But now I can stream in 3 places, have wi-fi everywhere, and run the plex for OTA.

I did some tests. The first switch slowly died last month. That one is now 1000. The basement rack one was swapped in November with a 100. In hindsight, 1000 then woudl have been better. So I think the network in general was running strangely for a while. I ordered some new 1000 switches to see if I can get links at 1000.

Even so, I did some tests today. I’m really fond of the new cheapo Dell notebooks. With a i5 - gen 8, there is a new antenna. I get a speedtest of 80. I think I’m only paying for 25-50. That one is perfectly fine leafing through folders on the NAS. So likely last year the network was acting up when I though the NAS was too slow for a server. Now the wired desktop seems slower. I’ll see what the network update does there.

I see there are some pre configured versions of the NAS. More memory. Drives installed. I don’t need a lot of space. So I was leaning towards the SSDs. But maybe I should stick to magnetic for reliability. Any opinions.

The office 1g switch is from 2017. I’ll try without the fancy stuff as a start.

Is there anything I should be concerned about running this as a daily server. We only have 3 people normally. Sometimes a few helpers. So a typical small office. I’d sort of like to be able to only have remote access when I need it. Or limit remote access to particular computers. Is any of that available?

Chris

Novell ?!?!?! The OLD one ?!?!? wow, respect.
A DS718 should be able to do the job (general speaking)
I'l like to get some higher spinning disks and get some additional memory in there.
If Plex is using (to) much resources? Check the Resource Monitor and see for your self. Depends I guess to usage.
I do not know Plex.

100Mb, man.. you should also upgrade that part (even at home AND get better Plex results) like saying goodbye to Novell (my two cents)
Get a solid good manageable switch that does support LACP so you can team your NICs. A switch without LACP support, do not bother to look at it. With teamed nics, and higher spinning disks (and in some amount more memory) you should get good results. Also look/check MTU: if you want that on a higher level it has to be adjusted on ALL network devices or it will counter you in to a lower performance.
Good switches: tp-link, netgear but use only managed switches
Hope you are good to go

I’d sort of like to be able to only have remote access when I need it. Or limit remote access to particular computers. Is any of that available?
Indeed it is. It just up to you and your computers to determine the protocol you would use for this kind of scenario.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.