Import iPhoto archives into Synology Photos?

Currently reading
Import iPhoto archives into Synology Photos?

NAS
ds920+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hey all!

I just picked up a ds920+ and I'm looking to take gigabytes of various iPhoto archives from different Mac computers and put them on the new NAS and to stop using iPhoto due to it's inability to work with a NAS at all.

I came across this thread, import iPhoto with dsm7 that said there was a way to import the iPhoto archives with DSM7 but it was pre DSM7 so I'm not sure if that feature ever came to be, I can't find it currently in Synology Photos in DSM 7.

Is it as simple as dragging and dropping the whole archive or is there another way to do it? I'm still stumbling my way through using this new system :)

this should help you do the sync :
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks, it seems part of my problem is, upon closer inspection, is that I have multiple iPhoto and Photo libraries and migrated photo libraries.

I was hoping ( though I realize this is a stretch and most likely an edge use case ) to be able to drag/drop these libraries into Synology Photos and have it unpack and import everything but no such luck.

So it looks like, to me, I have to find a way to import these libraries on a Mac with enough storage space, then export them all to the ds920+

From there, it's a choice of do I keep the original libraries and migrated photo libraries or delete them and keep everything on the ds920+ going forward. I say this only due to available HDD space on newer hardware, handling larger photo libraries like this may not work due to limited space.

I'll keep at it :)

Hey all!

I just picked up a ds920+ and I'm looking to take gigabytes of various iPhoto archives from different Mac computers and put them on the new NAS and to stop using iPhoto due to it's inability to work with a NAS at all.

I came across this thread, import iPhoto with dsm7 that said there was a way to import the iPhoto archives with DSM7 but it was pre DSM7 so I'm not sure if that feature ever came to be, I can't find it currently in Synology Photos in DSM 7.

Is it as simple as dragging and dropping the whole archive or is there another way to do it? I'm still stumbling my way through using this new system :)
Well after exporting photos from many large exported iPhoto libraries and adding them manually I held my breath and dragged and dropped a 7.4GB iPhoto archive into Synology Photos and it actually exported all the photos out of the archive.

It took a bit of time so some of my 20+ GB archives may be a real test but so far so good!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.