Import Metadata

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Been using MyMovies to manage my video collection. Have already invested a bunch of time in making certain my metadata is accurate and the way I want to see it. This includes backdrops, covers, actors, directors, ratings, genre, comments, etc. Most of it is store in xml files. One in each videos directory. Also have the same as NFO files. Is there a way to import that meta data into Video Station or is scraping the internet the only available way to get metadata into Video Station other than the manual process? Appreciate any insight here. Thanks for looking.

Video Station does its own thing getting tags from TVDB and TMDB. You can use a NAS admin account with VS web GUI and modify tags/re-tag to correct problems. Then you can export the current tags for each item: it creates a .vsmeta file for each media file.

I just looked at one of my .vsmeta and it doesn't look to be an easily edited/created file. As such I think it's not likely that an export of MyMovies (which I've not come across before) can be used to create VS meta files.

If you're up to editing VS's postgreSQL DB then that could be a way to do it but there is a risk of messing up. I edit the database to maintain age classifications to be UK specific.

Can't say for sure considering that I don't use VS, but by default, it uses Internet scraping. You can manually edit them ofc, but not sure you will be able to import them.
Don't use VS...? I am familiar with the default behavior but I am concerned my existing metadata will be overwritten by whatever internet scraping occurs by VS which is why I was looking for the import option. Appears it's not smart enough to figure out the metadata already exists in the folder. I may end up just dropping VS all together and stick with KODI which smartly reads existing metadata or try Plex.

I run both VS and Plex on the same media folders. I trained the family to move from 'Computers' [local iTunes] on Apple TV to VS. I've added Plex and prefer it but the migration from VS is taking its time.

BTW everytime you force a re-read of media folders in VS (by editing a library's folders in the VS admin settings) all the recently watched and added lists for each user gets wiped. To much grumbling but it still doesn't force the move to Plex.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.