Currently reading
Question import virtualbox images?

NAS
DS1019+ DSM6
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
i have a couple of virtualbox images that i boot up every now and then (windows 2003 server running SQL server 2000, and windows 2008 R2 running IIS). i use them for some legacy testing every now and then.

has anyone had any success in importing virtualbox images (VDI files) into VMM?
i added both as images from disk and they imported fine.
i then create a new VM (via import) and it adds the VM using the selected imported image.

i wasn't expecting much...
the windows 2003 VM starts to boot, gets to the splash screen and instantly blue screens, getting stuck in a loop
the windows 2008 VM does pretty much the same, but does at least go the "safe mode" menu, but even safe mode results in a blue screen.

i didn't expect them to boot up and work perfectly instantly, but was kinda hoping they would at least boot to some point.

any suggestions? is it even possible?

why won't 2003 work?
i have a clean install of server 2003 that works fine in VMM.
it may not be officially supported, but it does work.

however, it's the import of the VDI that's the issue, not the supported OS.

just a stupid idea: maybe it makes a difference if you export your vm as OVA file and import the OVA file into VMM.
You can trigger an export in the VBox UI from "File" -> "Export Appliance"... OVA files normalize the machine configuration and virtual disk to a common format - since VMM supports OVA, it is wort trying, isn't it? :)

just a stupid idea: maybe it makes a difference if you export your vm as OVA file and import the OVA file into VMM.
You can trigger an export in the VBox UI from "File" -> "Export Appliance"... OVA files normalize the machine configuration and virtual disk to a common format - since VMM supports OVA, it is wort trying, isn't it? :)

i exported it to an OVA file, but VMM doesn't see it as a supported image to import.

actually, i was trying to import it in the wrong place.
it did import, but the end result is the same - blue screen loop on boot.

VID_20200514_175724_2_exported_0_1589475595615.jpg

This doesn't sound like the virtual harddisk is the problem.

You could try to clone the vm on the host, remove the vbox guest addtions and export/import again.
It would be even better if you could pre-install the vmm guest additions before the export...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back