Impossible to connect a DS218 to W10

xenforo.fr
NAS
DS 218
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello, i'm new here and in the NAS world.
I'm trying to connect my DS218 locally to an Orange fiber box (ZTE F660) but I'm having a serious problem:
  • If I plug my NAS into an Ethernet port of the box and I type in the browser of my PC find.synology.com it finds and identifies the DS218. So I click on connect and there the browser grinds a little to finally tell me that it could not connect to the NAS: time exceed
    • In the address bar it tries to connect to the NAS IP (which is the correct one) with something like dc=893874503 behind it.
  • So I downloaded Synology Assistant but if I run the search it finds absolutely no NAS on the network.
  • On the other hand, if I connect a TP-Link WiFi/LAN router to the fiber box and connect the NAS to this router then everything goes correctly, find.synology.com and Synology Assistant both find the NAS and manage to connect it.
But my initial wish is to connect the NAS directly to the fiber box without going through another intermediate hardware like this TP-Link router.
Why can't I connect my NAS directly to the box? What settings should I try to achieve this?

Thank you to those who can help me !
Nicolas.

Welcome to the forum!

I might be wrong but it looks like that the Orange box does not have the same role in the setup as the TP Link.

Is the ZTE device also a router or just a "modem" and the TPLink a router and main network device that has dhcp role on it?

Upvote 0
The box is a box delivered by Orange, the configuration is original and we used it with all our other equipment, network printers for example. When we bought the NAS we simply plugged it into the box and it didn't work.

Out of curiosity, I connected a TP-Link modem-router configured as an access point between the two and the NAS connected very easily and was recognized by the PCs on the network. I don't understand what's blocking with the box, especially the fact that find.synology.com finds it but fails to connect to it and why the assistant doesn't see it at all. I think there is something on the box to unlock but what?

Upvote 0
If that is the case, then the ZTE device is your main router and TP is indeed your AP only. Saying this, there was no need for Syno not to work.

If you connect syno to ZTE, and then log into the router, can you get a list of detected network devices on it and see if Syno got an ip address? If it did, then try and connect to that up address on the 5000 port.

Upvote 1
Yes Syno obtain an IP valid in the IP range when connected to the ZTE.
I can see it listed on the LAN devices connected.

I'm not at work now but i will try to connect via the ip:5000, thanks for that tip.

Upvote 0
One other very important thing to consider - does the ZTE box have a firewall? (I am guessing the TP Link router does) If you are going bypass your router and the ZTE box does NOT have a firewall you are potentially exposing the NAS directly to Internet which is a very bad idea, so be sure then to enable the Synology NAS firewall and create your access rules accordingly to protect it.

Upvote 0
Hello @Coop777, thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure that the NAS firewall is activated ans set but i will check that tomorrow. The ZTE have a firewall too, activated at low level. So which one i have to activate ? Or both maybe ?

Upvote 0
but if in doubt about it I would definitely run the Syno Firewall.
Is there a resource somewhere that offers basic rules to configure on a NAS?
I am in the NAS firewall options but no rules are configured and I have no idea where to start?

Should I start a new thread about this or are we talking about it here?

Upvote 0
Last edited:
I'm not at work now but i will try to connect via the ip:5000, thanks for that tip.
Hello, i'm back to this.
Unfortunately i can't access to the NAS with the IP:5000 or :5001

I suspect something block the the access to the NAS in the box settings, but what ?

finds.synology.com find "two" devices but clicking to Connect button goes to error...

Capture web_1-3-2023_10228_finds.synology.com.jpeg Capture web_1-3-2023_10244_finds.synology.com.jpeg

Upvote 0
Reset, Mode 1 is trivial. No reason not to try it as Coop777 suggests.
I will try next Wednesday, I only have access to the NAS on days when the company is closed.
Did you originally assign your NAS a static IP address? If so, what is that IP address?
Yes i assign a static IP, 192.168.1.111 (in the TP link IP range) when it is connect to the TP-Link but when i test the connexion with the box I put back in DHCP to let the box assign an IP address which is in the range 192.160.0.x

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.