Incompatible WD disks or something else ?

Currently reading
Incompatible WD disks or something else ?

NAS
DS1621
Operating system
  1. macOS
Does anyone know if there are any problems regarding disks models:
WD40EFAX-68JH4N1

I am having spontanious restart in my Synology, without any error log, this unit is new one, so disks and syno has just 1,5 month old.
In addition i have also SSD x2 256gb cache memory disks from Goodram company, i have disabled them to test if that is not the issue.
In logs the only problem was reinitialise of 1 and 6th disk, it did happend first time after 1,5 month of usage.
Restarts occured about 5 times in that period.

Zrzut ekranu 2022-11-7 o 16.33.47.png

Looking on the compatibility table for the DS1621+ (you haven't said if you are using the + or xs+), the WD Red 4 TB (EFAX) drive isn't listed.

This drive uses SMR recording technology which isn't ideal.

The WD Red Plus (EFRX) uses CMR.

Well i did not knew about SMR/CMR type. Did not do any research.
That is why i asked there.
Are SMR drives bad for NAS ?

Does anyone know if there are any problems regarding disks models:
WD40EFAX-68JH4N1

I am having spontanious restart in my Synology, without any error log, this unit is new one, so disks and syno has just 1,5 month old.
In addition i have also SSD x2 256gb cache memory disks from Goodram company, i have disabled them to test if that is not the issue.
In logs the only problem was reinitialise of 1 and 6th disk, it did happend first time after 1,5 month of usage.
Restarts occured about 5 times in that period.
Disabling the unlisted SSD cache was a good step!

Reinitializations are a big hint. Have your DS run S.M.A.R.T. tests on all of the drives. I'd run the short test first to get a feel for the state of the drives, then run the extended tests as you'll need that data. If you put in the entire drive pack at the same time and kept note of the serial numbers, firmware versions, etc., at the time that may prove helpful later.

Assuming all of the disks are from the same batch (a big assumption) they could all start experiencing the issues 1 & 6 have, with increasing frequency over time. The SMART tests will help you get a handle on it. The SMART tests may also precipitate one or more failures if the drives are barely cutting it.

Once you get the tests done you can print them out then review them against the KB at Synology and various other places for info on the codes.

Here I am guessing: You may well have an incompatibility problem. Make sure you have good backups. If the drives are incompatible you may be able to preserve your data right in the NAS by swapping in compatible drives one at a time. Synology tech support is actually quite good at providing step-by-step instructions for individual use cases.

Well thank you very much for answers, i will do Extensive SMART Test on all, small test conclude exacly same results on all disks, for me that seems good. After disabling / downgrading SSD memory Synology does not restart, no new initialisations of disk also did not occur, let see how it goes later.....

Hello Guys, I have a ds920+ with 2 x2 raid 1 wd40efax and SSD 256g for cache. I have exactly the same issue between 4 or 10 restart per day . I tried to remove everything memory, ssd cache and I still have the same issue.
During the first month I¨called support and got a full exchange of the ds920 and it is the same!
Did you find anything ?

Sorry I hope this is clearer:
  • DS920+ with DSM 7.1.1 and no extra RAM.
  • Volume 1: 2 Samsung HD204UI in RAID 1 (from my old DS212+)
  • Volume 2: 1 WD40EFAX-68JH4N0 (fw 82) and WD40EFAX-68JH4N1 (fw 83) in RAID 1 (WD warranty replacement sent me a newer version)
  • SSD cache 2 x Samsung MZVLW256HEHP-000L7
  • APC Back-UPS ES 700
replacing the DS920 and power supply did not fix the issue.
replacing one WD40EFAX that was noisy did not fix the issue.
removing the SSD cache for a while did not fix the issue.
most of the time it restart even with the checkbox auto start after power shutdown is unticked.
I still have the improper shutdown issue.

Do you have any spare, known to be good, hard drives that you could use to setup the NAS in a test configuration? It sounds like you have tried replacing or removing everything except all the current hard drives. The two sets of drives you are using seem to be SATA II over 10 years old* and SATA III but SMR.

If I were going to test it, I would use a single NAS drive and install DSM with a basic configuration. Run that in the first bay, shutdown, run in second bay, etc until all bays tested. Running the test in each bay over a period that would normally have multiple reboots.

*I found reviews comparing them to old WD Green drives in 2011.

How is the local electricity supply? Do you protect the NAS with a UPS?

Hi, since last week I removed the Syno from my cabinet in the garage and plugged it in my office.

I was going to try reinstall with other disk but didn't get the time.

Strange thing is that I didn't get any reboot since !!!
I cant believe it after month of crash the issue was coming from my APC Back-UPS ES 700 which is not so old.
I guess this DS920 use more power than my DS212+.

Thanks guys for you help!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.