Increase storage pool and add another volume or create another storage pool?

Currently reading
Increase storage pool and add another volume or create another storage pool?

NAS
DS218, DS212+,DS212,DS210j
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Morning all,
Just purchased a new ds1520. Initially populated it with 3x2TB disks, created a storage pool (shr) with all three and then created a volume with all available storage. Everything is working fine. I have now installed 6TB and 8TB disks to completely populate the 5 drives. My question now is:

Should I create another storage pool and volume or increase the size of the existing storage pool and add another volume to it?

I will be storing new and different types of data on the new drives...or...does this make any difference?

Basically I am replacing the data two old NAS (ds210j and ds212j) with the ds1520+. For right now I would like to keep the data on the 1520 logically "separated" like it was on the two older NAS. I may configure all of it later on.

Thanks for you help,
Harold

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.