Index a folder other than /user home/photos?

Currently reading
Index a folder other than /user home/photos?

Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Is it possible to have Synology Photos to index and process a folder other than /user home/photos?

We are a small business using a single folder for all of our projects and we don't need a home folder for each user, neither we want to restructure our current file structure to accommodate Synology Photos usage.

Hope you can help.

neither we want to restructure our current file structure to accommodate Synology Photos usage.
In this case, no. If using a shared space option would be a solution for you then the single location would be the /volume1/photos folder. Indexing would happen on that location.

Last edited:
In this case, no. If using a shared space option would be a solution for you then the single location would be the /volume1/photos folder. Indexing would happen on that location.
Thanks, that might actually work. The restructuring wouldn't be as demanding, I guess. We will test it out!
-- post merged: --

I thought it would be as simple as setting the folder, but it requires some setup that I am struggling to figure out. What do you think is the best course of action to set it up as you have mentioned?

Attachments

• Screenshot · Brave Browser Synology Photos  · 2023-01-26 at 15.30.34@2x.png
    Screenshot · Brave Browser Synology Photos · 2023-01-26 at [email protected]
    128.6 KB · Views: 24
Thanks, that might actually work. The restructuring wouldn't be as demanding, I guess. We will test it out!
-- post merged: --

I thought it would be as simple as setting the folder, but it requires some setup that I am struggling to figure out. What do you think is the best course of action to set it up as you have mentioned?
As a prerequisite, home services need to be enabled as Photos will use the /username/Photos for "personal" photos if there will be any. Then, you will be able to activate shared spaces. Reason for this is that permissions for shared spaces are given using the DSM accounts, and for that to work, Photos has to have a place for each DSM user. That content lives in the /homes/username path.

So like I said, a prerequisite.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.