DSM 7.1 Inexperienced user needs help linking a NAS to a new PC

Currently reading
DSM 7.1 Inexperienced user needs help linking a NAS to a new PC

NAS
DS216J
Operating system
  1. Windows
Hi all,
I am very inexperienced with NAS drives. A couple of years ago i managed to set up my DS216J and link it to my PCas a backup device.
I have now bought a new computer and want to dump all the data on the NAS and relink to the new PC. I have already copied over all the data I want from old computer to new (Not using the NAS could not work it out)

I have failed to clear the data and relink to the new PC. I am trying to completely wipe the NAS and just start again from scratch.

I can't do a secure erase as the drive is in use.
I can't deactivate either of the 2 drives I have as it says the pool will crash.
I need another step to take everything off line.

Can anyone either advise me how to get everything wiped and start again (I don't need a secure erase), or how to remove the shared folders and repoint them to the new PC. I believe I have done this but it does not appear to be properly working in all cases. In the top right of the screen i have a whirling circle that says processing images/videos, 69638 images and has been stuck at 5% for a week!

I keep trying different things and am getting nowhere

Andy
PS whilst trying a million ways top fix things I have upgraded the NAS to 7.1 (I think)

Solution
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Not sure why you want to wipe the setup just to get it attached to the PC, but there is really no need to do it.

Connecting you PC to your NAS can be done via SMB protocol. So make sure in DSM Control Panel >File Services you have that protocol active.

Then, using your PC open up Windows Explorer and type \\your_nas_IP\name_of_NAS_share. Provide credentials and you should get the content visible.

If on the other hand you want to start fresh and wipe everything you can (considering you are on DSM 7.x) use the following steps.

Control Panel > Update & Restore you should see two new tabs, System Reset and System Recovery.

On System Reset there is a Erase Data (factory...
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Not sure why you want to wipe the setup just to get it attached to the PC, but there is really no need to do it.

Connecting you PC to your NAS can be done via SMB protocol. So make sure in DSM Control Panel >File Services you have that protocol active.

Then, using your PC open up Windows Explorer and type \\your_nas_IP\name_of_NAS_share. Provide credentials and you should get the content visible.

If on the other hand you want to start fresh and wipe everything you can (considering you are on DSM 7.x) use the following steps.

Control Panel > Update & Restore you should see two new tabs, System Reset and System Recovery.

On System Reset there is a Erase Data (factory reset) button. Click that and your NAS will wipe down and reboot to an out-of-the-box wizard that will allow you to configure it fresh (accounts, shares, services, etc).

Ask away if you have any questions, and welcome to the forum once again.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thankyou very much for your help. I have taken the erase option. Will allow me to just start again, will take a few days to recopy over a couple of terrabytes of data but I am in no hurry, only really use it as a backup device. Planning to use it for more filesharing but will just get the backup working 1st.

Thanks again, sure I will have a couple more questions :)

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.