Install new volume to replace the old volume, how to migrate in the smartest way?

Currently reading
Install new volume to replace the old volume, how to migrate in the smartest way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
NAS
DS1515+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
I have a DS1515+ with a current 3x6TB disk in SHR (RAID5), giving me 12 TB mounted on /volume1

I'm going to install 2x18 TB disks in SHR (RAID1), giving me a new 18 TB volume, and I want to get rid of the old 3x6TB disks.

I understand that there's no migration path from RAID5 on small disks to RAID1 on larger disks. So I'll have to create a new volume on the new disks.

But how do I migrate everything in the smartest way, without f*****ng everything up or spending countless hours re-creating configurations etc?

After I've inserted the new 2x18TB disks I guess that I can easily create a new SHR volume on those, format a BRTFS file system, and then what?

I can see 3 options

1. I can copy all files over manually, either by terminal (rsync) or drag-drop. But that would probably take forever and I risk not getting everything
2. Use some Synology tool for that migration if it exists?

3. Use the dd command, for copying the block device of the old 12 TB volume to the new 18 TB volume, then change /etc/fstab to mount the new volume on /volume1, and finally expand the copied 12TB file system to 18TB either using a Synology GUI tool or btrfs filesystem resize?

Option 3 SHOULD be able to give me the most transparent transition, with the cost of some downtime while data is copied, am I right?

I'd use a 4th option as it is standard and supported, with limited downtime.
1) export all packages and settings using hyper backup to the new volume or to usb.
2) move all data using the SHARED FOLDER location changes (e.g. from volume 1 to volume 2, if 1 is the old volume end 2 is the new 18TB volume).
3) set the default packages volume to the new volume
4) Pull the 3x6tb
5) install HB, restore all packages using HB restore to the new volume.

@esbenvb

Please do not make duplicate posts on the same issue. Also, while you obfuscated the word it's not hard to know it. Please note that this forum doesn't tolerate this language.

Continue this discussion in the original thread...

Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.