Install Passwork in Docker

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Dear Community,

I want to install Passwork on our Synology DS918+ in Docker. Since I have no real experience and knowledge with docker and specially on a Synology I would like to get some help/direction on what to do.
I have a guide on how to install Passwork in docker ( Docker ) but I`m uncertain if I can follow these steps one by one since the environment is not a linux server but a synology diskstation. Can one use these guide for a synology too or do I have to do something special?
Normally one just loads the package with the app but the package is not available there.

So in summery:
- Can I just follow these steps mentioned in the guide even in the case of a synology nas and not a linux server?
- Are there other steps to follow?
- Is there a good guide for synology and docker with a git/clone command which relates to my situation?

Sorry if some of these things seem obvious to you but i don't want to mess with ssh and commands if I don't really know what I`m doing.

Thank You and all the best

Personally I would recommend to use docker-compose method and run this over SSH on your NAS.

So save that docker-compose.yaml file on a location of your choice on the NAS.

Log into your NAS via SSH (port 22 by default) and elevate to root with sudo-i from your default account to your root

Then move into the folder where you placed the file, and run docker-compose up -d command.

This will download the image, and create multiple containers and networks and finally start your stack. Then follow the web UI configuration of the app platform with the DB element.

Ofc this will work until you 1st time reset the stack. If you want to main the data then you will have to work with volume bindings, but that's the next step that you have to get to 1st.

Is there any particular reason that you want Passwork as your platform? There is Bitwarden (or Vaultwarden fork) that is much less complex to run and maintain then this one, just an idea.

Personally I would recommend to use docker-compose method and run this over SSH on your NAS.

Log into your NAS via SSH (port 22 by default) and elevate to root with sudo-i from your default account to your root

Then move into the folder where you placed the file, and run docker-compose up -d command.

This will download the image, and create multiple containers and networks and finally start your stack. Then follow the web UI configuration of the app platform with the DB element.

Ofc this will work until you 1st time reset the stack. If you want to main the data then you will have to work with volume bindings, but that's the next step that you have to get to 1st.

Is there any particular reason that you want Passwork as your platform? There is Bitwarden (or Vaultwarden fork) that is much less complex to run and maintain then this one, just an idea.
Thank You very much for the detailed instructions, but i still found a way to mess it up :D
I attached a picture for you where you can see the error message. I added also how the folder looks like -- I understood it correctly that just the one file has to be saved on the nas?!

Thanks you for suggesting alternatives and being interested in why I want to use Passwork!
We bought the self-hosting version for Passwork a while ago (420€). I searched for a password-manager which one can buy and has no subscription pay model.
Bitwarden with 3€ x user/month is really expensive for our non-profit org. This would mean we have to pay around 45€ each month (540€) for just the password manager which we don't really have or rather IT related things and its budget isn't really a priority sadly.
Is Vaultwarden just the self-hosted version for Bitwarden or something separate?

I guess its easier to run with a 'bigger', 'more established' software but budget is a really big thing with us.

Attachments

• error.png
    error.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 54
Is Vaultwarden just the self-hosted version for Bitwarden or something separate?
Correct. You can have all the BW functions on premise for 0$. Also it works with official desktop and mobile apps.

Last edited:

Dear Rusty, dear community,
sorry for pushing this thread. i hope you all are fine and well since it's been almost a year. finally i just got to work again on this 'project'.

i had the chance to install and try vaultwarden.
  • its realy great for being free
  • that one can use the official bitwarden software/apps is really cool too

but passwork send me a new licence to test out their software and i want to give it a go since there are many good features when using the pw manager with more then 15 users.

DOCKER
I managed to install the compose which left me with a 4 container stack. i tried to start the container manually but then figured that it must be run by starting the whole stack.
since i didn't know how to do it. i installed portainer (i thought more gui features would help a noob like me) but i couldnt start the stack in portainer since the stack was created outside portainer, so i deleted the stack and installed it through portainer again. still portainer is unable to start the stack.

@Edit: I uploaded the container logs.

could it be a network problem like changing the ports?

If its a bigger hassle to assist me through portainer i would gladly shift working without it.

Thanks and all the best

Attachments

• Unbenannt.PNG
    Unbenannt.PNG
    125.4 KB · Views: 27
  • db container logs.PNG
    db container logs.PNG
    47.8 KB · Views: 27
  • nginx container logs.PNG
    nginx container logs.PNG
    47 KB · Views: 21
  • php8 container logs.PNG
    php8 container logs.PNG
    77 KB · Views: 18
  • postfix container logs.PNG
    postfix container logs.PNG
    66.1 KB · Views: 26

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.