Currently reading
Installation of a new NAS to someone else

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Want to prepare a new NAS at home which will actually be installed in another site (another city). Are there any issues that may arise so that an build like this would not be recommended?
What are the points I must take into account in order not to run into problems?
Thanks

Last edited:
You need just TeamViewer:
- to the remote computer connected within same LAN as the NAS
- then you will control the NAS like in your LAN ... ofc you need to find the NAS within the LAN
- for newbies is Synology Assistant useful, for some from WInOS enviro is Advanced IP Scanner more useful
- when you will stuck in all these steps you can perform a Soft reset of the NAS (admin/network setup reset) ... your files will be safe .... you can find in this forum lot of useful guides. No need to write again.

Upvote 0
The important points would be to make sure the remote site is ready for the NAS, such as:
  • remote subnet topology so you can pre-configure the NAS:
    • IP of router
    • DNS services
    • IP reserved for NAS and subnet mask
  • remote firewall is configured to enable remote access to the NAS:
    • port forwarding rules implemented
    • outbound access enabled
  • physical environment is prepared:
    • environment is clean and ventilated
    • rack/shelf
    • power availability
    • network infrastructure
  • named recipient identified and knows the NAS is being shipped
  • installation instructions:
    • label the unit, power supply, and any included cables
    • label physical ports and buttons
    • provide diagram showing where NAS is to be installed
    • diagram to show the wiring from NAS to infrastructure
Likely be other things too. But don't assume any level of competence at the other end and you'll limit the number of issues to the barest minimum, a dozen or so.

Setting up QuickConnect may be a useful idea for having a fallback way to access the NAS.

Upvote 0
IP reserved for NAS and subnet mask
@butala or you could configure that NAS on your current site with a DHCP setting, ship it and when it arrives then remove it from a DHCP network assignment and configure it as @fredbert said to a fix IP address in that new (remote) subnet. As @jeyare mentioned you can use Syno Assistant if you get lost on the remote location.

Upvote 0
DHCP assignment is OK, but unlikely that the perimeter firewall will know to forward incoming requests. Unless using another service (e.g. QC) that enables the NAS to make the initial outbound connection that then is used to funnel inbound traffic.

I'm assuming no out-of-band management access.

Upvote 0
Taking into consideration what frebert wrote and knowing the other part I think it is safer to be present on the site right from the beginning. In other situation though I would try this tip with DHCP, QC, and other tools mentioned.
Thanks a lot to all of you for the tips.

Upvote 0
with Teamviewer connected to remote computer (NAS location) you can do it all the mentioned steps from your living room (setup of the remote router, ...firewal, port forwarding,... everything)

When the NAS is discovered, you need just switch the Teamviewer into NAS directly, you will get full:
- DSM access
- CLI access

Yes you can’t plug the NAS into socket or ethernet by the TViewer.

tens of such installations have done, successfully

Upvote 0
@jeyare Seems I'm coming from a different world: limited/no access to other equipment on remote site; negotiate resources and configurations on stuff we don't manage; don't assume placing more kit due to cost of racking, power, belligerence, etc.

For the in-band management of the infrastructure I guess you could send out a pre-built R-Pi with Teamviewer (assume that exists and you're the infrastructure admin).

Upvote 0
yes, this is the added value of the Teamviewer:
- you need just phone number to the remote person
- Installation of the TV is simple, also by guidance with a phone (when doesn’t exist/installed). You can also use some video-call platform for a screen share of the TV installation
- then you can take control of everything.

Because OP’s request is very simple, I don’t expect an advanced (secure) infrastructure setup (frequently default settings for routers) = then you need just:
- get the router photo (better from bottom side) sent by email or by a message platform. It can help you to find in bottom side the credentials - usr/psw.

1618749573826.jpeg

1618749668213.jpeg

1618749693362.png

When there isn’t the usr/psw, then during 1minute you can get it from internet. And when you control the router, you can controll everything.

For an example:
or here
or here

when you are not able take the control by this way, it’s pointless to travel to the remote control - because without router setup, you can’t setup the NAS properly.

Op’s request wasn’t about racking. It was about “want to prepare a new NAS”:
Want to prepare a new NAS at home which will actually be installed in another site (another city)

racking is for 95% NAS owners last mile (unfortunately). I understand your concern.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.