Installed RAM memory test confusion

Currently reading
Installed RAM memory test confusion

NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Hi there,

I just installed 4GB ram into my DS218+ and I can see my total RAM has now gone up from 2GB to 6GB.

I wanted to carry out a memory test as advised to do after installing new RAM.

I followed the instructions here: Tutorial - Performing the Synology Memory Test and Extracting the "HIDDEN" Memtest Results via a New Method

I've conducted the memory test ok, seemingly, and i've now downloaded the log file to my desktop, but at this point, trying to extract the memory test results according to the wavery at best instructions doesn't provide the fruit. What am I doing wrong?

I created a folder called "debug log" on my dektop, and within that folder, I created another folder called "debug". I placed the "debug.dat file" from the NAS box into that location. I used 7zip to "extract here". I navigated to inside the "dsm" folder and copied the "package_status.list" file back into the original "debug log" folder and then used notepad++ to edit it and search for "MEMTEST". This provided no results at all. In fact this "package_status.list" file is so small, that I can look through it by eye easily. No need to search anything. Still there is no "MEMTEST" anything in there. Who can advise me on how to see the memory test result please? (Ridiculous you have to jump through hoops to see the results of a test which itself was fairly pain free to set up in the first place! What are Synology thinking!)

How does one SSH into your NAS? That link doesn't explain how to do that.

Wait. I think i did it, but im confused. I stopped.

I used putty. I set up a connection and logged in with my credentials.

I typed " sudo cat /var/log/messages | grep -i "memtest" " as was shown at that link.

I got the following response:

"We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility

Password: "

What the hell is that?? I didn't enter any password, opting instead to let it time out and shut down the connection.

Is someone taking the mick out of me here?

On my NAS webpage, I login all the time with the adminstrator account i setup when I first bought it. So i'm logging into the SSH session via putty and using that username and password. I assume that's what im supposed to do?

When i do so, i get:

myusername@thenameofmyNASbox:/$

If i type "ls" to list the contents of the directoy i'm in, i can see "var" is one of them.

Now from here, what command do i type to get the memtest results please. I need simple instruction. I'm not a wizz at this, and certainly not at linux. I get by, but i need simple instruction and no assumptions i know what im doing. Please.

Let's deconstruct that command.

sudo cat /var/log/messages | grep -i "memtest"

What this is doing is taking the file /var/log/messages, looking for lines with memtest, and these will be printed out.

cat /var/log/messages this read the file and prints all of it out. The | takes that output and sends it to the next command as its input.

grep -i "memtest" this takes the input and extracts lines with memtest and only these are printed out.

Because the file /var/log/messages wouldn't normally be accessible to your admin user you have to elevate the privilege you are running the commands, and that is the initial sudo command.

You just have to run the whole command from anywhere as the file has its full path.

I typed my password (the same as the one i logged into the session with at the beginning login procedure) after that stupid message I mentioned above. When I do so, i get the following response:

sudo: cat/var/log/messages: command not found

Why?

Ah right, I think i missed the space between cat and /var.

I seems to have done it now. this was the displayed command and result.

sudo cat /var/log/messages | grep -i 'Memtest'
2021-09-28T21:17:59+01:00 Home_Cloud findhostd: util_fhost.c:1378 Memtest passed!

Not very informative, but i'll take it that the SODIMM i installed last night will be fine and wont cause me any problems when i try to do more with the NAS again rather than just login.

Thank you for your help. :) That was a ballache to do, and completely unnecessary imo. It should be a lot easier than that. Not very polished, is it.

I didn't like really putting a 4GB card in alongside the native 2GB card it shipped with. My understanding is that memory should really be applied in equal pairs. However, I didn't want to do surgery on my NAS to do that. So i guess 6GB will have to do.
-- post merged: --

What was with that stupid message? I didn't like it. It was like I was being watched, or had been hacked. Not a nice thing to be met with...

I didn't like really putting a 4GB card in alongside the native 2GB card it shipped with. My understanding is that memory should really be applied in equal pairs. However, I didn't want to do surgery on my NAS to do that. So i guess 6GB will have to do.
I did the same with the same misgivings. Also didn't fancy doing open-NAS surgery to match the modules.

What was with that stupid message? I didn't like it. It was like I was being watched, or had been hacked. Not a nice thing to be met with...

That message was from the 'sudo' command when it's first used. It is a warning that you could do damage when using elevate privileges.

oh right. Well at least i never have to see that again.

I've only lightly dabbled in linux. A bit at work, and a bit at home when messing with Commodore Amiga file conversions. Every time i have to do something, I have to ask how to do it, and make sure I have it all fully written down for future repeat use. I still never really understand half the stuff im typing in that environment, so i'm purely working on a basis of trust on information provided to me from others. Linux in my opinion is an archaic thing which should have died a long time ago if it wasn't for the banking sector, nerds, and for the inescapable truth that linux is the only real time operating system available. Not even Windows is that. I hate it. It's not intuitive or understandable without giving up your real life to attempt to understand it properly. Unfortunately (or furtunately) my life is so filled with other things, that I just don't have the time or inclination to invest myself to the requirements it clearly needs. Having such requirements in itself, if you ask me, is evidence enough that the operating system is not a polished high quality product. Products of quality provide a service to a user without the user having to understand how that product hangs together. For example, you don't buy a hair dryer expecting to have to build it yourself or take it apart to install the mains cable to it before first and every use.

Linux in my opinion is an archaic thing which should have died a long time ago if it wasn't for the banking sector, nerds, and for the inescapable truth that linux is the only real time operating system available. Not even Windows is that. I hate it.
So your a Mac person. Very wise :D

Luckily for you there are nerds* here that have spent some of their time to understand this, even if they have real lives with plenty of other things to occupy them.

*pejorative term.

So your a Mac person. Very wise :D

Luckily for you there are nerds* here that have spent some of their time to understand this, even if they have real lives with plenty of other things to occupy them.

*pejorative term.
"*pejorative term".

Not in my book. In my book, everyone is a nerd about something. People who are right into Linux, are nerds about Linux. I'm a nerd about cars. Others about football, etc. Nothing derogatory intended or meant in what I said. Now if I'd said "geek", then that might have been another case altogether.

To you, and all the Linux nerds who've helped me out, and I'm sure will continue to help me out, I thank you and tip my hat to you spending time in your life doing the thing you enjoy doing, and being in a position being able to help people like me to reach goals where we have to do the things we don't so much enjoy doing, and only do them because we must. :)

I don't have a Mac, but I do enjoy my iPhone. I'm firmly in the world of Windows otherwise.

Not even Windows is that. I hate it. It's not intuitive or understandable
I'm firmly in the world of Windows otherwise
Well you only have yourself to blame ;)

spending time in your life doing the thing you enjoy doing
Hmm, well sort of. I'm interested in other things but learn the tech stuff to solve problems / achieve things for what I'm interested in.

I agree with the gist of your comments before: appliances are a solution to a need, presented using technology in an easy to use and understand way. It's why I haven't built a PC/server/NAS because I don't want the hassle of spec'ing out and sourcing parts.

But if you think an iPhone/iPad is the pinnacle of easy to use then you've not done tech support for my mum! How to navigate the Mail app between mailboxes is a years long conversation.

Last edited:
ETF5MuiXkAQMAgx.jpg:large

BTW1: Because even the most used memtest86+ for Windows/Linux has only the CLI.
BTW2: One knows a WinOS expert, depending on whether he/she knows PowerShell.
BTW3: It's as difficult as disassembling the whole car engine, doing the maintenance and putting it back together. You just need to understand what it has to do with what. No rocket science.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.