Installed RAM memory test confusion

Currently reading
Installed RAM memory test confusion

Unix/Unix-like operating systems are running the world. Your iPhone runs a unix-based operating system.
And if it dies, what's the alternative? Windows?
C:\>
Don't I know it. I'm not disputing that. It's just that I think the approach could be modernised and be made to be more user friendly, not requiring to memorise command strings all the time. I hated unix at college. Hated it. I think i'm still sour from that experience as a teenager! :D
-- post merged: --

Well you only have yourself to blame ;)

Hmm, well sort of. I'm interested in other things but learn the tech stuff to solve problems / achieve things for what I'm interested in.

I agree with the gist of your comments before: appliances are a solution to a need, presented using technology in an easy to use and understand way. It's why I haven't built a PC/server/NAS because I don't want the hassle of spec'ing out and sourcing parts.

But if you think an iPhone/iPad is the pinnacle of easy to use then you've not done tech support for my mum! How to navigate the Mail app between mailboxes is a years long conversation.
Yeah, I know that story! :D Trying to get my dad to understand phone stuff is, well, difficult to say the least.

I've had no problem using memory modules of different size, and the NAS is probably the only thing I would be unconcerned about doing so.

What is making you want to run a memory test?

Ah well, I had 3x4GB SODIMM modules in a jiffy bag. 2 were from my laptop, which I doubled the RAM on during Covid, and the third was a random module someone handed to me at work probably about 3yrs ago. I don't know where it was from, or its history. Seeing as it was the "odd one out" of the three, and there only being a need for ONE in the NAS box, I decided to take a punt on utilising that one.

As well as the above reason, I think it's best practice to check the memory is ok, and that the NAS box accepts it 100%. The last thing you want or need is for it to be unhappy with it for some reason, and something as a result of this, to corrupt your precious stored data. No point in going to lenghts buying expensive hardware and large drives to try to secure your data if you then add something cheap to it which then undermines the investment you've made, especially unknowingly.

Well that's my view anyway. Of course, I could have followed my own advice better and bought a Synology approved module, but hey ho. Shrug. :D

That's a fair point. The NAS can be finicky with RAM and finding suitable modules for older NAS (is the DS218+ 'old'?) seems to be tricky. When a NAS comes out there'll be plenty of people trying 3rd party RAM and saying this serial number / stock ID works, but then they change either with different manufacturing or stock ID is re-used.

I got Crucial RAM for the DS218+ but that was using up to date info when the NAS was released. When it came time to upgrade I got the DS1520+ over the DS920+ and one main reason was it had the extra 4GB RAM module already.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.