Installing containers on a Docker

NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Newbie here,
I have just bought a Synology NAS 218+ and am glad I found this forum where I can get help. I would like to say that am not computer savvy, therefore bare with me.
Can anybody send me clear instructions on how to install containers (torrent, Jackett, NordVPN, Watchtower, Bitwarden, etc) on docker, please?
Any help will be very much appreciated
([email protected])

Go to Marius' site. He has tons of very clear instructions. You can also find mariushosting on Facebook.

Here's an example:
-- post merged: --

Also... I would suggest you take a look at Portainer as well. Makes some things very much easier. And the good thing about playing with Docker/Portainer is, if you make a mistake and stuff doesn't work, you remove the container and try again.

Last edited:
Go to Marius' site
Please. Anywhere but there. It's worse than NASCompares. Error-ridden, misinformation, beggar spam, copy/paste from other sites...

Why direct someone away from this fine forum?

Can anybody send me clear instructions on how to install containers (torrent, Jackett, NordVPN, Watchtower, Bitwarden, etc) on docker, please?
Have you searched this site? Start with Bitwarden to learn, then move on to others. FWIW I would avoid Watchtower. Unnecessary auto-updates aren't a plus. Learn to update manually. Then move onto Portainer.

Interesting, I'd have gone with portainer and then bitwarden. But other than that I completely agree with @Telos .
Maybe saying what you're intending on doing, getting stuck in and then asking for help as you go?

leave people free to decide what guidelines they will use
each information channel has added value for specific groups

in this forum you can find also warnings about security issues when you will use “free” available containers from 3rd parties. What is a common problem of instant guidelines. OFC include instructions how to achieve right installation or operation. Guidelines w/o forum threads are insufficient for some. For some it is good enough. Installed? Done. No matter how is it secure for their data.

Please. Anywhere but there. It's worse than NASCompares. Error-ridden, misinformation, beggar spam, copy/paste from other sites...

Why direct someone away from this fine forum?

Have you searched this site? Start with Bitwarden to learn, then move on to others. FWIW I would avoid Watchtower. Unnecessary auto-updates aren't a plus. Learn to update manually. Then move onto Portainer.
I have tried hard in following the instruction on how to set up a vaultWarden container. everything was smoothly done just at end when trying to log in on the bit warden site I get the following error "This browser requires HTTPS to use the web vault Check the Vaultwarden wiki for details on how to enable it" even though I used my Synology Application portal (in Control Panel). Honestly, I have hit the wall, as it is too technical for me.
Please see the attached the screenshot

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-03 at 11.44.18.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-03 at 11.44.18.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
You will not be able to get it running using a local IP address over http. BW needs to be accessed over https and to have that running you will have to have a valid SSL certificate for the domain name you are accessing it from.

One way to do it it is to have ssl certificate issued for a custom domain, or if you dont want it that way, to have it issued for a ddns name of your NAS device.

This will be a perquisite in order to be able to create an account or to use it in general.

Maybe some more details can be found here:

or

@Nefe
1. use the original source thread, no need to open a new one
2. never disclose any sensitive data that may be used to an attack on your data (including the port number of the service and email address used as login + number of used characters in your psw)

finally, your connection isn't secured by HTTPS = this is your problem. When you will read the Wiki (in your red windowed hint), you will get info, that you need:

There are a few ways you can enable HTTPS:
  • (Recommended) Put vaultwarden behind a reverse proxy that handles HTTPS connections on behalf of vaultwarden.
  • (Not recommended) Enable the HTTPS functionality built into vaultwarden (via the Rocket web framework). Rocket's HTTPS implementation is relatively immature and limited. This method also does not support WebSocket notifications.
more here:

Solution:
1. When you don't have your SSL/TLS certificate you can create your own from your DSM. Use Search in this forum for guidelines.
2. Search on this forum for "Reverse roxy". Create a simple setup and use it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.