Currently reading
Installing Firefox in Docker on my DS918+

NAS
DS923+ (16GB)
Router
  1. RT6600ax
Operating system
  1. Windows
I've tried installing the linuxserver/firefox docker app on my NAS and it works, well, pretty good, sort of. :) It's cool being able to run a browser within a browser. Anyway. How do you secure it? The docker page at linuxserver/firefox - LinuxServer.io says the default login/psw is abc/abc but mentions nothing about how to change it. If I want this container to be available from the internet, I need to secure it somehow.
Anyone got any hints how to do this?

I can manually login to the container with appending ?login=true and it gives me a logindialog. However this dialog also mentions stuff like Xorg/xvnc/vnc-any etc. The documentation I've seen mentions nothing about what this actually is?

As usually, messing with Docker-stuff is trial-and-error and guesswork for a newbie, sort of. :)

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't run a browser on my NAS, docker or not, as they are inherently insecure.
cool being able to run a browser within a browser.
Coolness aside... Just why?
login/psw is abc/abc but mentions nothing about how to change it.
That's what the password file is for. Reread the instructions, and checkout the GitHub page.

I wouldn't run a browser on my NAS, docker or not, as they are inherently insecure.

Coolness aside... Just why?

That's what the password file is for. Reread the instructions, and checkout the GitHub page.
Only stuff I can find is about a password-file for environment variables. Not the actual login credentials itself?
Can't find any github-link on the page I mentioned.
And why? Well. If you're not at home and you want to access websites without actually using the current network (sort of).

If you're not at home and you want to access websites without actually using the current network (sort of).
VPN, Tor, Tailscale, proxy, cell phone data... Not worth risking NAS and your network security IMO.

Besides... you still have to use the current network to get out to your NAS. Good luck!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.