DSM 6.2 Installing Plex via Package Center vs. Manual Install

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello,

I would like to install Plex on my DS920+ running DSM 6.2.4, and I'm wondering about the pros and cons of installing via the Package Center vs. Manual Install. It looks like the version of Plex in the Package Center is behind the latest version available directly from Plex. Is it true that applications installed via the Package Center will automatically be updated once a new update is available? What about applications (i.e., Plex) that I manually install, will that application (or DSM) detect a new version is available, and automatically download/install the new version,? Or once I manually install Plex, then from now on I have to manually check to see if an updated version is available from Plex, and then manually download and install?

To put it another way, would it be better to install the older version of Plex from Package Center and wait for Package Center to get the newest version and automatically install it, or should I get the latest version from Plex and (assuming new automatic updates for manual installs), and forgo automatic detection/download/install of newer versions as they become available?

Sorry for my newbie questions, I am new to Synology and DSM.

Thanks for your help and advice!

Is it true that applications installed via the Package Center will automatically be updated once a new update is available?
No. Unless you specifically say for that app to auto update.

What about applications (i.e., Plex) that I manually install, will that application (or DSM) detect a new version is available, and automatically download/install the new version,?
Plex will notify you via its own UI not the package center.

once I manually install Plex, then from now on I have to manually check to see if an updated version is available from Plex, and then manually download and install?
Correct

version of Plex from Package Center and wait for Package Center to get the newest version and automatically install it, or should I get the latest version from Plex
Latest from plex.tv and do manual updates. Synology version is miles behind and not even close to being updated/fixed as the official one.

Upvote 0
No. Unless you specifically say for that app to auto update.

Plex will notify you via its own UI not the package center.

Correct

Latest from plex.tv and do manual updates. Synology version is miles behind and not even close to being updated/fixed as the official one.
Hi Rusty,

Not that I'm going to pick the Package Center route to install Plex, but just for educational purposes, is there some option I can check that tells Package Center that I want Plex to auto update?

Upvote 0
Hi Rusty,

Not that I'm going to pick the Package Center route to install Plex, but just for educational purposes, is there some option I can check that tells Package Center that I want Plex to auto update?
In the settings section (button) of the package center you will see the auto update tab

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.