Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Last edited:
Hey All,

I setup my NAS recently and had a linux server running along side it and the web browsing was working fine though now that i turned of the linux server (proxy was on linux) the NAS won't let me browse the internet from internal computers ?

I setup a proxy under the network section on my NAS though still no luck ?

Any help- would be appreciated

I just setup >Network>manually configure DNS server to the modems address... Not tested yet though i'm hoping that will work.

Bit more info on this is needed just to confirm things.

So you Linux box a proxy server that your LAN devices were hitting before going to the router and then the internet, is this correct?

If so, then reconfigure your LAN device (and NAS) to not use the proxy setting or target your gateway (router) directly.

Give a bit more info on how this was set up and what device what configured for what role exactly.

Or you can run Proxy Server package on the NAS and have LAN devices route through it. This is a forward proxy service.

Yep the Linux was acting as a proxy with 2 lams one internal and one external and internal computer were routed through the proxy.

is the Proxy Server package easy to setup ? As it might be the way to go.

Yep the Linux was acting as a proxy with 2 lams one internal and one external and internal computer were routed through the proxy.

is the Proxy Server package easy to setup ? As it might be the way to go.
It's not difficult at all. I found that it leaks DNS requests so not using it, and on top of that (back in the day) it would crash here and there so never used it. Instead, I would just use the NAS IP address (that is behind a VPN) and set it as a gateway address for my devices in LAN. This way I had no leaks and it's rock-solid stable.

It all ofc depends on the need. But @fredbert does have a point, just that I have no idea what the state of proxy package is atm.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Does anyone know if the proxy package is now reliable and are you using it ?

I installed the proxy server and it seems to be working well.

Problem now is i have mail that goes directly to an exchange server and because i have lan1 (external to modem) and Lan2 internal... for some reason it can't connect with the incoming or outgoing mail server.
Do i need to allow anything in the firewall for 993 and 587 ?

Problem now is i have mail that goes directly to an exchange server and because i have lan1 (external to modem) and Lan2 internal... for some reason it can't connect with the incoming or outgoing mail server.
LAN 1 'external to modem' and LAN 2 'internal': can you explain a bit more here ... external wrt what? ... modem is directly a connected to a firewall/router? ... where's the NAS ... what's routing between LAN 1 and LAN 2.

To from one LAN subnet to another requires a router that has a connection in in both subnets and a routing table. The router should also have a default route defined for destination '0.0.0.0' which is used to route any traffic that isn't covered by a specific rule.

And the proxy server only works for Web services (based on HTTP) for other IP services you have to have a router. The router has to have an interface on the local subnet.

Sorry for not being clear...
Lan1 from the NAS is connected to the modem and Lan2 from the NAS is connected to the internal network.
All computers go through the NAS to get to the outside world.
My mail from Microsoft outlook won't connect outside to the exchange server.
Thanks for replying

No worries, but @fredbert already started helping with your latest question here and there is a new topic on the same matter opened. So before this gets discussed any longer, you might want to focus on that specific topic then.

Lets leave this a "proxy" question topic instead.

Thanks...
I think i need to setup external access ?
and maybe forward some ports through the NAS
I think that may be why it's not getting through ?
Alex

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.